2000 Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
Hi, y'all.

So I've got a few issues with my Expedition but the most concerning right now is that just after I installed a new battery, I started experiencing a shudder, mainly when I'm idling or accelerating. I had the starter, battery, and alternator checked and they are fine.

When idling, it sometimes shudders so bad it feels like the truck's going to quit completely. There's no check engine light coming on. I am going to be calling a mechanic today (I've had to find a new one after 4 different local mechanics screwed up figuring out what was wrong with my '86 F-250) and hoping to get it taken in today or tomorrow.

Any idea what is causing this and why it started up after I got a new battery installed? And any general idea how much it will cost to fix it?

Any and all advice/opinions are welcome.

mmurphy1313

Reaction score
Coil/plug? Try disconnecting battery then reconnect after ten minutes to relearn pcm, long shot though, could be loose connection

highlandre

Reaction score
When my coils were going bad I had a similar problem and it wasn't too long after I replaced my battery. That said I was getting an error code telling me which coil was bad.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife had same issue on her van. Cleaned idle air/egr new plugs even though ones on there were fairly new, new plug wires ours would be coil boots, cleaned MAF. Cleared up the problem. You can check coils http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-index/two-wire-cop-coil-tests-1 also the “ high spark “ accel/Msd are a waist.

If you clean anything disconet the battery then re connect after about 5 min should re calibrate based off clean. If not even though cleaned the Computer will not adjust to it.

Last edited:

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DG508 Motorcraft $40 Rock auto
Try a pick a part pull off a 4.6/5.4/6.8 get way cheaper

Amazon has a pkg deal 80 for 8
Off brand

Accel and msd not worth the price.

E994C8BD-97DA-40F0-BE18-27E9747D10BE.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheFlyingDutchman

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
So after it sits over night, the shuddering doesn't occur except only a tiny bit when I drive to work (around 4am when it's still pretty cold outside). Also, the engine doesn't shudder when I coast but it really hits when braking and when it idles and then when it accelerates. Still no check engine light.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running hot ? Does the exhaust smell rich ?

Sounds like a miss fire honestly. Not burning fuel in one or more cylinders causing a load on the motor why coasting not there. Most likely louder when accelerating when idling still there not as bad though. Computer adjusts timing making it worse.

Have someone with a scan tool check to see if any pending codes. Ones not triggering a check engine light.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Coil/plug? Try disconnecting battery then reconnect after ten minutes to relearn pcm, long shot though, could be loose connection
Don't play the whack-a-mole game. You may have a pending code. You can purchase your own OBD scanner now, cheap(under $30). You can also go to Autozone or Advance Auto, they check it for free. Do not replace coils, unless you have a CEL. They are very expensive and some are a pain to get at. There is a re-learn procedure, after installing battery. It involves a couple minutes of idling, with AC on/off and in/out of gear.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't play the whack-a-mole game. You may have a pending code. You can purchase your own OBD scanner now, cheap(under $30). You can also go to Autozone or Advance Auto, they check it for free. Do not replace coils, unless you have a CEL. They are very expensive and some are a pain to get at. There is a re-learn procedure, after installing battery. It involves a couple minutes of idling, with AC on/off and in/out of gear.

Auto zone-Orilies most can’t/won’t check for pending codes. They will only do if light on. If knows someone or can brow one can check pending codes.