2000 Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I bought an OBD-II reader on eBay for $16 (free shipping). Not fancy, but it does the job (I don't know if it reads "pending codes", though). Handy to keep in your on-board toolkit.

Good luck!

OP
OP
TheFlyingDutchman

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
Running hot ? Does the exhaust smell rich ?

Sounds like a miss fire honestly. Not burning fuel in one or more cylinders causing a load on the motor why coasting not there. Most likely louder when accelerating when idling still there not as bad though. Computer adjusts timing making it worse.

Have someone with a scan tool check to see if any pending codes. Ones not triggering a check engine light.

Sometimes the exhaust does smell strong, almost like sulfur. Yesterday and today though there's been none of the shuddering or anything else that it has been doing since the new battery was put in. Doesn't seem to run hot. It could start back up again, of course. But I'm definitely going to see if a mechanic can run a scan.

The Dutchman is the last vehicle I can afford to own and it has to last me. I can't afford to not fix any issues that come up right now, regardless if they're expensive or not.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought an OBD-II reader on eBay for $16 (free shipping). Not fancy, but it does the job (I don't know if it reads "pending codes", though). Handy to keep in your on-board toolkit.

Good luck!
i've used cheap code readers for years, all read for pending codes including if a vehicle is emission test ready

buncha vac lines run by/near the batt, all it takes is a leak to ruin a smooth idle or dead even balanced running

a vac leak can also be intermittent as well as vary in intensity, the worse the leak, the worse the idle including shaking & ruff running...

you can can hear bad air leaks..

Last edited:

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a miss in one or more cylinders. You should hook up a scanner to it and see what codes, if any, pop. Diagnose/test/analyze thoroughly BEFORE THROWING PARTS AT IT!!! I know, easier said than done, but by diagnosing thoroughly FIRST you will SAVE big money$$$!!! Good luck!

OP
OP
TheFlyingDutchman

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
I plan to get it scanned but the shuddering has completely stopped and I have had no issues with it. We drove almost 300 miles over Friday and Saturday and not a single issue with the shuddering. The only thing that's really concerning me now is that when it goes into 2nd gear, it shifts hard. So I have to get that checked.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan to get it scanned but the shuddering has completely stopped and I have had no issues with it. We drove almost 300 miles over Friday and Saturday and not a single issue with the shuddering. The only thing that's really concerning me now is that when it goes into 2nd gear, it shifts hard. So I have to get that checked.

That sounds like the tranny
Cheapest kit all in one
http://superiortransmission.com/product/superior-ke4od-v/

Here is the name brand one but buy piece by piece

http://www.transgo.com/products.php...d=142&countdisplay=6&start=0&addcountview=Yes

OP
OP
TheFlyingDutchman

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
Yeah, so when it rains, it pours...

Alternator is now shot and needs replaced...so tomorrow or Tuesday, it will be going to the shop. I'll have everything else checked while they're replacing the alternator. I just hope it hasn't ruined the new battery I just put in there.

Was driving on Friday when I noticed the battery gauge dipping so I stopped at Autozone and they checked the alternator and it is running at only 4 volts.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your going to be fine. Unless opposite over charge it will be fine or if old and goes to low can’t always bring it back.

Good luck at getting the other issues looked at. If you don’t mind post back with the issues so we all know please.

OP
OP
TheFlyingDutchman

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
Current issues with The Flying Dutchman:

- alternator needs replacing
- shifts hard into 2nd gear
- gauge and dash lights don't work (but the idiot lights work somehow)
- driver seat heating doesn't work
- high pitch squeal/whine after about 20 mins of driving (probably was the alternator because it got worse when the alternator went out)
-signals stop working after using them about 8-9 times during driving.

I will update which issues get fixed with the upcoming shop visit. It's going to take time to get it all fixed because I don't make enough to fix it all at once...wish it was closer to tax return season.

20171208_165335.jpg