2000 expedition 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Korution661

Reaction score
Within the 2 weeks I have had decent cold AC. but this last week I started to notice AC took longer to cool. And as of past 2 days AC has went out. When I have it on it doesn't blow hot air but doesn't blow cold either. seems that when I get close to my house it starts to get colder (20-25mins) on highway. It started with the back air getting hotter, but was always the coldest. Then eventually the front went out as well. Only thing I have done with AC system is take it to a small shop where they "filled" it up. When it was "serviced" they swore it was colder but I did not notice the difference. Could it be they filled it up with too much oil?? Or what are my options if any. Did not want to take it to shop cuz I know i'll be paying for a lot of maybe unnessary work. Oh and forgot to mention I have coolant smell coming out of vents when air is on..

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The coolant smell is your heater core leaking or if you are lucky just the hoses.

For the ac you always start out with reading the low and high side pressures with a good gauge set, not the "wonder cans" at Walmart.

Yes there could be more oil than needed, you will not know until the system if reclaimed or all components are flushed and you start from scratch.

OP
OP
Korution661

Korution661

Reaction score
Ok update I got the heater core and new A/C compressor and condenser. changed A/C out but not sure where the orifice tube is located at. Any ideas?? Compressor I believe the clutch was just out but already got the new one so decided to change it out including the condenser. anyhow changed a few orings the ones I did they looked good still but changed since already had apart. As far as the heater core that will be on a 3 day weekend for it will be very time consuming.