2000 Expedition CD Changer problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FI-62

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 Expedition factory CD changer doesn't work. Whena fully loaded (6) magazine is inserted into the changer and the "CD" button is pushed on the radio it cycles through each CD and all tracks but doesn't stop to play any. Once it goes thrll 6 it displays a message "EMPTY MAG" and stops doing anything. Can someone tell me what is wrong and the best way to go about repairing the factory unit? I'd like to stick with the factory system if possible. Is there a CD changer I could buy new that would fit the factory harness and work with the original radio? Thanks in advance. Rich [email protected]

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My CD changer in my '01 does exactly the same thing. Thankfully, I run an XM unit, so I put this on my backburner, but I would love to know a solution...

Reaction score
I have been told by multiple stereo installers that they need the time to pull out the old unit and troubleshoot it...maybe be able to replace or rewire it...take to a reputable stereo installer

eb20004x4

Reaction score
Pretty dumb but I must admit I've done it. Did you put the CD's in the right way? At least it is an easy fix.

OP
OP
FI-62

FI-62

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CD changer

CD s were installed correctly. Is there a service center for these units?

wpatters1229

Reaction score
Ours worked just fine on a road trip one way and then on the way back it was doing exactly the same thing. I took the magazine out, check the discs and nothing worked. I can only assume there must be something down inside that changer that is stuck or dirty. Will try to spray some cleaner in and see if that works. When the discs load it works great. UGH!

Tonyray

Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 expedition it has the 6 cd changer in the center console and the magazine is stuck and will not eject also no cd in it. Also I have the over head dvd player but can't find where to put the dvd's.

Joseph3

Reaction score
The stock Ford cd changers are well known for being problematic as they get older. The previous owner of my 2000 Eddie Bauer replaced everything (head unit, cd changer, subwoofer, speakers and amp) with Alpine components. It looks like it was definitely done by a pro. The 6 CD changer works great but I'd rather have Bluetooth capability. I ordered a bluetooth module to plug in place of the CD changer (they call the connection AI-NET) but will have to see how well it really works. I've heard mixed reviews.
Generally cd changers aren't worth the cost to repair them if they can even be repaired. Vibration, extreme temps and dust are what makes most car changers fail. Short of replacing the unit, there really isn't much to be done.