2000 Expedition Intake Manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdrum_1998

Reaction score
I have 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer, with a 5.4 liter engine, my mechanic told me I needed to replace my intake manifold it leaks anti-freeze, it's not overheating though but it's running rough!
The check engine light goes from steady to flashing while driving. Can I install this myself? Is it hard to do?

TB

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The ability to swap the manifold depends on the tools you have and your ability to use them. What type of repair work have you done in the past?

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
It's not an overly complicated job, (doing it now myself actually) as long as you're decently mechanically inclined. There's actually a YouTube video that is very good for reference. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

Found it.

OP
OP
B

Bigdrum_1998

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the response!
I had a 69 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 magnum years ago that I worked on myself. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle the job, I think I can do it. :) I just don't own a torque wrench, but I'd get one.

Let me know how your job turns out.

My truck has a little over 321,000 miles on it. But I like it a lot.
Took my daughters after school today and looked at the 2017 Expeditions, a few had V6 engines. Really pricey!

TB

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the response!
I had a 69 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 magnum years ago that I worked on myself. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle the job, I think I can do it. :) I just don't own a torque wrench, but I'd get one.

Let me know how your job turns out.

My truck has a little over 321,000 miles on it. But I like it a lot.
Took my daughters after school today and looked at the 2017 Expeditions, a few had V6 engines. Really pricey!

TB

Pricey yes, but boy are they nice. I also have a 2000 EB, 5.4 4wd. I've had a few other 1st gens over the years but this one is by far my favorite. Very very clean truck and just hit 215k. Still has the rustproof/undercoating on the frame. I have always been big on trading vehicles (for some reason I just get bored of them after about 6 months) but I can't bring myself to get rid of this one. I really love it.

You can pretty much follow that video step by step, only difference really would be the Dorman intake gaskets are not the same as the Ford intake gaskets, but I think as far as installation goes they are a bit easier. Torque wrenches can be had at a fairly decent price, just remember the old saying "you get what you pay for".

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a good video. I used it to help swap mine. It's not hard, there's just a lot to remove to be able to get it out.

If you haven't replaced your spark plugs in awhile, this is a great time to do it. You'll have more access.

OP
OP
B

Bigdrum_1998

Reaction score
That video does make it easier to see what's needed to do.
I will study it some before doing it and get the tools that I don't already have to do the job. I probably should change the plugs as well. Maybe the spark plug cables since all the anti-freeze that's been going all over the place.

I noticed in the video the hood is off, did anyone take theirs off?

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
That video does make it easier to see what's needed to do.
I will study it some before doing it and get the tools that I don't already have to do the job. I probably should change the plugs as well. Maybe the spark plug cables since all the anti-freeze that's been going all over the place.

I noticed in the video the hood is off, did anyone take theirs off?

A 7,8, and 10mm socket, a few different extensions, an 1 1/4" open end wrench, and a torque wrench. That's all I used. I didn't take my hood off.