2000 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4 Transmission Shifting Erratic With Tow Light Blinking??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robb

Reaction score
Hello
Hello to everyone here on this site. I'm having a problem with my 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4 5.4. It has 165,000 miles and I had the transmission fluid and filter changed a year ago with about 158,000 miles on it at that time and never had a problem ever with the transmission until today. Of course I would be 1200 miles away from home and have no idea what to do next? I was driving along and when I started off from a traffic light it started shifting hard into second, third, and forth and over drive. It kinda jerks a little and then shifts. It is not slipping. The over drive light on the shifter knob has been blinking ever since I noticed the hard shifting. I pushed the over drive tow button several times to see if it would change anything and it did nothing at all except continue to blink. I stopped and checked the fluid and it was fine. Before I look for a garage that can diagnose it I wanted to get your expertise feedback first. I do have all my tools in the truck and I have access to a garage to do the repairs if it's something I can tackle. I was a certified mechanic in 1980, cars have changed so much since then it's hard to keep up with all the changes and especially when you only do it for yourself. I was never certified in transmissions, but back then they were pretty simple. Common problems were easy to diagnose back then but now with the computer run transmissions along with the shift solenoids and everything else I have no idea where to start. Being it just happened at random, I was thinking maybe I could have a bad connection at one of the plugs, But then again I am only guessing. Once It gets up to 55-65 mile per hour she runs along just fine. If I thought it wouldn't get any worse I would drive it home this way and have it fixed by my friend mechanic that rebuild these ford transmissions. Please does anyone have any good advice, or have you had similar experience with the same problem by any chance? When you answer this post I will respond quickly because it goes directly to my phone. Many Thanks in advance.
Robb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK