2000 intake manifold swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpburke86

Reaction score
So I have a 2000 with a 5.4 amd the classic problem that the plastic intake manifold is cracked where the coolant runs through.

I know the only real solution is to replace the manifold, but this is my question....

Will the 1999 aluminium manifold properly fit on the 2000 engine without modification?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lpburke86

Reaction score
Yes, exactly.... what does that entail? Since no one answered, I just changed the intake manifold gaskets on mine.... but i have another 5.4 that im rebuilding to drop in this one when its done.... i would like to keep it as stock as possible while fixing alot of the problems with the 5.4....

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though it's in the same Gen there may be mods to be made. The swap is possible. In your case you're going backwards where I would understand. The aluminum would not crack. I will tell you this I have personally installed a 01 block from pan to PI heads. The engine swap is on this website. Everything else is 99 from intake gaskets out.

Note: Afterthought replace the Coolant sensor and tube that are intake valley (if I remember correctly) before installing the intake assembly. I didn't I know someday I will regret not doing it.

• I had the picture of the o1 intake because I still have the complete top end in my basement from the donor engine. 01 F-150
  • The picture of the 99 is on my running trucks. 99 Expy EB 5.4L w/ rear Heating & Cooling.

The engine runs fine. Road trips its great I got about 15 mpg once I got from MA. to FL. (over 1200 miles) last summer, and 10 - 13 city about 10 months after install. One of my many projects is tweaking the MPG with help on this site hopefully.

I had a faulty crankshaft sensor (now resolved) but I believe MPG may have been sacrificed. My driving habits, long idles, and a lot of short trips may have contributed as of late.

If it an EB and has rear AC & Heat and yours is not the mods might be lines vacuum, and electrical, and or heating

Last edited:

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's a EB make sure to flush your heater cores in both directions. It would be easier now and a lot hotter next time you use the heat. Get a couple of line clamps.

OP
OP
L

lpburke86

Reaction score
I had seen that sensor while i was there.... but blew it off becuase money is tight.... now you have me worried.

Would the aluminum intake manifold help my gas mileage if it were ported and polished?

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You at least tested it right? I did the samething but I tested mine. Just hate to think to have to replace it after the fact especially if the original and where it's located. My crank sensor failed recently and did not change and test that but that was at least easily accessible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lpburke86

Reaction score
I did test it.... but damn that would be a pain if it went out in 6 months.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got warm weather on your side though. Did you at least do a good inspection of the coolant tube? I inspected and there wasn't ant rust or pitting. I then cleaned and repainted it with rust inhibitor then Hi temp black. I hope you at least inspected or change the o-ring on the tube. If it leaks most people don't notice until the valley fills up it overflow over the back making it seem like a head is leaking. If not and you notice coolant tank getting low just take peak inside the valley for coolant and plan on taking the whole upper intake assembly apart.

31pzXhZJ-oL._SY355_.jpg

I think the part number is F75Z18663AB

OP
OP
L

lpburke86

Reaction score
You got warm weather on your side though. Did you at least do a good inspection of the coolant tube? I inspected and there wasn't ant rust or pitting. I then cleaned and repainted it with rust inhibitor then Hi temp black. I hope you at least inspected or change the o-ring on the tube. If it leaks most people don't notice until the valley fills up it overflow over the back making it seem like a head is leaking. If not and you notice coolant tank getting low just take peak inside the valley for coolant and plan on taking the whole upper intake assembly apart.

View attachment 20459

I think the part number is F75Z18663AB
Im in south Texas. We dont know know anything but warm.... 65 degrees and everyones reaching for jackets. If it ever hits 29 we think the world is ending.

I didnt see any part that looked like that while i was down there....