2001 expedition p0171 p0174 WITH LONG CRANKING TIME

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n.shift

Reaction score
I have a 2001 expedition with codes p0171 p0174. Sometimes but not always, It also has long cranking times before it starts. once its running its runs great. its 5.4 L 117k miles. Any thoughts on this? thank you

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
I have a 2001 expedition with codes p0171 p0174. Sometimes but not always, It also has long cranking times before it starts. once its running its runs great. its 5.4 L 117k miles. Any thoughts on this? thank you
I forgot to mention it only does this when cold. when I say cold, I mean 30 degrees outside. Im thinking leaking intake gasket. Because when its warm, it doesn't do it. maybe do to the rubber gasket being slightly swollen...but any input would help

silverexp

Reaction score
Fuel filter? You'd be surprised what floating trash in a fuel filter can do. Simple stuff first...

Check for bad vacuum hoses, loose clamps, dirty MAF sensor, easy stuff first, then go from there. IIRC P0171 and p0174 indicate lean conditions on both banks, so it's going to be air leak or restricted fuel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
Fuel filter? You'd be surprised what floating trash in a fuel filter can do. Simple stuff first...

Check for bad vacuum hoses, loose clamps, dirty MAF sensor, easy stuff first, then go from there. IIRC P0171 and p0174 indicate lean conditions on both banks, so it's going to be air leak or restricted fuel.
The freeze frame data is suppose to point you in one direction or the other. Here are my results any ideas? Suv runs great. Starts normal 99.5% of the time. Very long cranking time the othe .5% of the time. Plenty of power. Doesn’t die or doesn’t run rough. Just the 2 codes and every once in great while long cranking time

25247745-B10D-4B32-B8E8-205682BD2D43.jpeg

8DDD0CAA-7EE4-4600-856B-D0FFBE1879E3.jpeg

4E2CEEE7-9D29-41B8-841B-6B11C48BD618.jpeg

08B03B77-A6DD-464A-BCE2-BF1BA9C5101E.jpeg

silverexp

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. Engine cold, it would sometimes be really hard to start. I was thinking intake leak, timing off, bad crank sensor, bad IAC valve, etc. Freeze frame data and codes were the same. Turns out there was trash (lots of it) in my fuel filter. Changed it, and the problem went away. In your case it could be moisture or water, since you said it happens at near freezing temps. I'd start there.

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. Engine cold, it would sometimes be really hard to start. I was thinking intake leak, timing off, bad crank sensor, bad IAC valve, etc. Freeze frame data and codes were the same. Turns out there was trash (lots of it) in my fuel filter. Changed it, and the problem went away. In your case it could be moisture or water, since you said it happens at near freezing temps. I'd start there.
Will do. Thank you

01expy4x4

Reaction score
Ok I just created an account to answer this for you. I have a 2001 expy 5.4 4x4. It was doing exact same thing. Took me a while to figure it out. What fixed it was changing the whole fuel pump. The fuel pump has a check ball in it to keep pressure when shut off to my understanding. When it gives up it creates this problem. I changed several parts until I got it. You can get the whole part with float and everything pretty cheap on eBay. That's what I did.

silverexp

Reaction score
Ok I just created an account to answer this for you. I have a 2001 expy 5.4 4x4. It was doing exact same thing. Took me a while to figure it out. What fixed it was changing the whole fuel pump. The fuel pump has a check ball in it to keep pressure when shut off to my understanding. When it gives up it creates this problem. I changed several parts until I got it. You can get the whole part with float and everything pretty cheap on eBay. That's what I did.

Definitely a possibility. I always start with simple stuff first. Fuel filters are cheap and easy.

01expy4x4

Reaction score
Yes it is possible. I tryed that on mine. Hope it works better for you. I also try fuel pressure regulator. And changing the core on the fuel rail. Where you check pressure. To my understanding the reason for the long start time is because when the fuel runs back in the tank air gets in the lines. If that helps. The my fuel pump it's self was not bad. Still made correct pressure. Showed no signs while driving it. Was just hard starting from time to time. Then it got to be more often. I think on eBay I payed $60something for the whole thing.

OP
OP
N

n.shift

Reaction score
I could very well have 2 problems at once. I’m really leaning toward vacuum leak for the p0171 and p0174 codes because if you look at my freeze frame data,the codes where thrown at idle. But again, I’m just leaning. More research is needed. The check valve in the pump might def be the problem for long crank times on occasion. I’ll be checking fuel pressure soon. Ty