2001 Expy 5.4 Electrical problems please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SolidxPatriot

Reaction score
Hello everyone..

my first post here after lurking for quite some time...
please bare with me English is my 2nd language

i own a 2001 Expedition 5.4 (2x4) my brother had an accident a long time ago and since that day alot of Electrical problems appeared for example:

*when i use the FOB remote to open the doors it takes more than 3-4 clicks.. (FOB battery is new)

1- when i use the FOB remote to Lock the doors the car honks to let you know the doors are properly closed (but the horn sound is super low).

2- when i hit the red alarm (panic button) on the FOB it makes a super low sound.

3- when i use the cigarette power socket to charge my phone i hear a strong static noise in the radio.

4- the driver door lock (sometimes) does not respond when i click the lock button on the driver's door.

5- (sorry can't explain this good in English) but when you put the key in accessories mode (not turning the engine on) you usually hear a continues beeping sound to let you know the car switch is ON in accessories mode ... mine doesn't make that beeping sound sometimes.

guys so sorry if you couldn't understand what i said... i really need your help with the problems i mentioned + videos on how to fix them are highly appreciated.

Thx. :D

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, your English and spelling is next to perfect. We've got members that English is their first language, and they spell like a monkey on crack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The beeping sound when key is in accessory mode, should beep when drivers door is open. That is to remind you that keys are in ignition. I have a 2000, it doesn't ding with any door open but drivers. As far as the intermittent locking of door, is it just the drivers door that doesn't lock? Could be the actuator in the door. The drivers door switch locks all four doors. If it failed, you wouldn't be able to lock the other doors. As far as the low output on horn, clean and check connections at horn, you might also want to put 12 volts directly to horn. How does it sound during regular beeping from steering wheel.

OP
OP
S

SolidxPatriot

Reaction score
The beeping sound when key is in accessory mode, should beep when drivers door is open. That is to remind you that keys are in ignition. I have a 2000, it doesn't ding with any door open but drivers. As far as the intermittent locking of door, is it just the drivers door that doesn't lock? Could be the actuator in the door. The drivers door switch locks all four doors. If it failed, you wouldn't be able to lock the other doors. As far as the low output on horn, clean and check connections at horn, you might also want to put 12 volts directly to horn. How does it sound during regular beeping from steering wheel.

xDD thx

it's just the driver's door... rest of the doors are fine.

the horn sounds fine when i press it from the steering wheel. (even when the car is off)

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The super low sound from the horn when you lock the doors Isn't normal

But it also is normal I will explain

Ford has an update to the wiring of the horn circuit that will or should correct this I will see if I can find it and post it for you.

My 2001 does the same although I have just let it alone and haven't bothered to change the wiring.

Opsimath

Reaction score
I often get interference on the radio when charging my phone and it is usually directly correlated to the quality of charger/cable I am using. What I'm saying is it's probably not an issue with the car but rather the charging equipment you are plugging into it. Try with different chargers/cables and see if the level of interference varies.

I've been meaning to try clamping a choke on my charging cable like the ones sometimes used on computer keyboard cables to see if it can clean up the spurious signals.

On another note I agree the English in your post is flawless and perfectly understandable, no apology necessary!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked my SUV again the other day to compare sounds to yours. Mine is one year older, but all should be the same. My horn is lower in volume as yours is. The normal horn volume is loud when you hit the steering wheel pad. As far as the panic horn, mine seems to be normal volume, I will check again later. Try your phone charger in the socket below the console your arm rests on. It's in the passenger compartment, down low. If that one works ok, you probably have a ground issue with the front lighter socket. I'm assuming your radio is quiet on Am, not Fm stations when your driving. You might want to check grounds on the radio also. Electrical gremlins can be tough to narrow down, just ask anyone that's worked on an older British vehicle.

steelrain7

Reaction score
I believe issues 1 and 2 are related to this TSB. I haven't had mine fixed either. It's funny that every once and while the horn volume is normal.

Attachments

• TSB 020102.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 6