2002 Navigator 5.4L Intech swap into a 2002 5.4L Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's interested in feedback, just not random conjecture from people who have no idea what they're talking about

The hard part is that everyone has an opinion. I need facts. I don't want to hear that it is hard and it is tight and "I" wouldn't waste my time. I am the kind of guy that gets it done. I just want to know the issues people had with this swap and if it worked.

Thanks MISTERgadget. I was going to use the PCM from the Navigator so that it runs like a stock Navigator. I don't want to pay for a tune if I don't have to. So I will grab the complete engine harness and PCM.

You said your 5.4L y pipe did match up? That is good. One less thing to buy.

Oh and MISTERg? if you get a change I would love to see pics of your Lightning with the 5.4 4V in it and a the M114 supercharger on it. I have a 2003 Cobra with the 4V 4.6L bumped up to 480HP at the rear wheels. I am a huge sucker for First gen Lightning. My wife would love one.

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may have to do that. My 5.4L 2V is not doing well and why replace it with another 2V when I have 4V sitting at the yard.
My concern is there was issues and no one posed them. I did a search on Inford with the Navi VIN and the truck is identical to mine except for the 5.4L is a 4V. Same year and same options including trans and transfer case. In everything I have seen this should be an easy swap with the engine, harness, pcm and exhaust pipe. My question is the bulk head connector for the PCM in the engine bay wired the same between my Expedition and the donor Navigator?

Almost all of the pins will be the same, they are consistent across mod motor applications on the EEC-V PCM. That's not the connection to worry about though, at the starter solenoid that harness splits into two connectors, one for the engine harness and another for the trans harness - the Navi engine harness should plug right into that one, just confirm the pinouts on both from a service manual. A couple pins may need swapped but it will be mostly identical.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He has been talking about this swap for over 3 years look at his previous posts

Before it was a dream, now it is a reality and three years ago nobody responded to my post. I have looked at a new F-150 to buy and it is $800 a month payments. For that I can keep my Exped and put some money into her. She owes me nothing at this point.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Almost all of the pins will be the same, they are consistent across mod motor applications on the EEC-V PCM. That's not the connection to worry about though, at the starter solenoid that harness splits into two connectors, one for the engine harness and another for the trans harness - the Navi engine harness should plug right into that one, just confirm the pinouts on both from a service manual. A couple pins may need swapped but it will be mostly identical.

Excellent. I really appreciate your help. This makes me feel a lot better doing the swap now.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries there. I can get both pcm wire diagrams off the Ford website. I have been looking at the for a day/night now and it looks like Ford was lazy enough not to create a different harness between the Navi and Exped with the exception of a couple wires to re-pin

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries there. I can get both pcm wire diagrams off the Ford website. I have been looking at the for a day/night now and it looks like Ford was lazy enough not to create a different harness between the Navi and Exped with the exception of a couple wires to re-pin

I'm working on a Lightning swap into my 1998 expedition now, and for that truck there are only 8 pins different (out of 104) from the 1998 PCM to the 2003 harness I have. Very little considering everything that changed from 1998 to 2003, digital ODO, VSS vs OSS, etc.. etc..

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's interested in feedback, just not random conjecture from people who have no idea what they're talking about

I realized he was looking for some feed back And he wasn't getting any.

My response was to ask him to post the procedure once he finished the project so it could help others.

Your comment was unnecessary

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realized he was looking for some feed back And he wasn't getting any.

My response was to ask him to post the procedure once he finished the project so it could help others.

Your comment was unnecessary

Gentleman....Lets be adults here.

I will be posting pics when the time comes. Right now it is snowing and -20 degrees Celsius outside and I want to go get this engine. Yes I was looking for real info not opinions and unfortunately it is hard to read a post when you can't tell if it is a shot or support. Come on, we all have had someone misread a text (mostly women) and it turns south. LOL