2002 Navigator 5.4L Intech swap into a 2002 5.4L Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm working on a Lightning swap into my 1998 expedition now, and for that truck there are only 8 pins different (out of 104) from the 1998 PCM to the 2003 harness I have. Very little considering everything that changed from 1998 to 2003, digital ODO, VSS vs OSS, etc.. etc..

Did the 98 Expedition have the E4OD (4R100) trans in it or do you have to swap the trans too?

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I am excited to do this swap. I mean for the price of an complete engine/harness and whatever else I need, this will be a cheap and easy-ish swap.

Thanks for everyone's help

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realized he was looking for some feed back And he wasn't getting any.

My response was to ask him to post the procedure once he finished the project so it could help others.

Your comment was unnecessary

You implied he was being willfully ignorant of valuable feedback. Very different.

Did the 98 Expedition have the E4OD (4R100) trans in it or do you have to swap the trans too?

Mine has a 4R100

Now I am excited to do this swap. I mean for the price of an complete engine/harness and whatever else I need, this will be a cheap and easy-ish swap.

Thanks for everyone's help

It should be almost idiot-proof (Almost, some idiots are very well designed)

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL. I hear you.

I have been working on Ford for 22+ years. I like doing everything different. My new project is a 1973 Mach 1 that I am going to put in a 2013 GT500 5.8L supercharged engine and a T-56 trans. I am closely watching Chip Foose build a 1971 Mach 1 that he put the 71 body onto a 2010 Mustang GT with a Coyote swap.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You implied he was being willfully ignorant of valuable feedback. Very different.

I think you need to re-read my original comment Nothing was implied to him as my reply was made prior to him receiving any feedback. Again your comment was unnecessary Learn to read or get your glasses cleaned

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok guys. got some parts today. I got the PCM from the Navi and I also got the 32v intech decal. I also took pics of the engine but I think I am going to need a couple friends to help me out. It is freaking cold out!!!

Someone already cut out the exhaust for the cats. The morons at PNP put a hole in the pan 1" from the drain plug to drain the oil (see MISTERg comments on stupid people). But now I have the itch to get the engine asap! If it was summer I would be there all day doing this myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK guys.... anyone planning this swap should be prepared. Like really prepared.

First: The engine I got was junk. Stupid u pick yards.My fault for just wanting to swap this in and show you it works.

Second: The engine upper intake is a pain in the ass. I know I was at a u pull yard but I had to actually cut the upper cowl over the intake to access the 3 bolts that hold the rear of the intake to the lower.

Third: The wiring is pretty easy to do when you have access to all the wiring. What comes off the pcm of the donor Navi to the inside of the cab/engine/trans....everywhere, just take it all. Makes the swap so easy. The Navi and my Exped were exact identical vehicals. It was a air ride, auto 4x4 with 4R100 trans, 9-3/4 rear diff with the same gears and all optioned out. Except the Navi had a/c seats. The harness had all the same wire colors and pin out as my Exped. I will say plug and play except for more grounds on the Navi harness.

Forth: The exhaust lines up, mounts line up, trans lines up if it is the 4R100. Take the torque converter just incase there is a difference in stall speed.

If done with all the parts it can be a simple swap with no dyno tuning sessions or custom tune. The PCM you swap in will call your Expedition a Navigator now. Just make sure you have two keys to reset the PATS system and then it is a turns the key and drive swap. Sometimes the newer vehicles have a PCM tune code that you can punch into the PCM with the Ford IDS and it will rewrite the program into the stock PCM with the other PCM code. I did not try this but I saw it done on a Crown Vic that the tech was able to do a Police tune to his regular Vic. All the parts I had was a from a 2002 Navigator going into a 2002 Expedition. Even all the wire colors matched in the harness for the body/engine/trans and transfer case. My transfer case is a AWD unit and so was the Navi one. Just remove old harness, install donor harness, swap PCM and connect all wiring. Drivers side is a bulk head connector so it is just an undo the 10mm bolt and plug in.

If you want to do this swap, it will take time....a long time. I cannot tell you if it is worth it because the engine was knocking and had a hole in the piston from a valve. My bad for not doing a full inspection before installing the engine. But If I had a hoist, removing the body from the chassis would have made the job sooooooooo much easier.

Is it worth the headache????? Well I can not find a replacement 4V for the Navi swap so I am going to put in a 5.4L 2V engine I found from a 2002 Expedition with only 45000 km (22000 miles) on it that I am going to put into my SUV and put it back to a Expedition PCM/Harness. If I had the time and money I would have rebuilt the 4V engine and started fresh but I need my SUV back and running. I think it would have been fun with the Navi engine and would love to do the swap again if I find the right swap units. But my Exped has almost 400000 km on the clock and I saw lots of rust in the rad support and a few other spots. The Navi I got the parts from was really rusted bad on the underside. Oh and I got all my money back from the wreakers. They only give you 90 days for exchange so I had to work fast.

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Great info here and I am a bit curious, after reading this i did some net investigation, and it seems like the 4 v heads will bolt up to the 2v and 3v block as the Mod blocks. That being said by changing the timing chain, heads, and timing front covers would that work with the current harness etc, with the exception of needing the navigator ecu or a tune on the expy one?

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can not answer that. You can modify the Expedition harness if you like to work with the 4V heads but MISTERgadget has experience there. I just swapped everything over to make life easier.