2003 5.4 cranks but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AskMeLater

Reaction score
I love these old, resurrected threads. I was just about to start surfing the web to find a solution to what appears to be covered here. I'm thinking that I might have the same issue.

2003 EB 4x4, 5.4
Purchased vehicle Apr. 2014 with 154k. Now has 163k.
Since I have owned the vehicle I have had the following strange occurrences:
A) on two separate occasions, the vehicle died while running. Once at idle, and once at speed. Both times were immediately after filling up with fuel, which, judging from the content of this thread, now appears to be coincidental.
B) Over the past several days, I have heard the aforementioned buzzing noise from the fuse panel area. Never happened before. First time was about 2 or 3 days ago. Vehicle will not start as long as buzzing is occurring. Once buzzing stops, the vehicle will start.

I'm pretty confident that the CJB is my problem. Here is another thread that addresses the same issue.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f16/expy-wont-crank-buzzing-sound-3436/

So unless any of y'all tell me differently, I'm going to check the CJB later today.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Last edited:

AskMeLater

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

I installed a new Fuse Box ( 3L1Z-14A068-AA ) yesterday. I was going to move the Expy before starting the work, but it was a crank/no start, so I'm lucky I didn't take it anywhere!

Ordered from group1autoparts.com | Genuine OEM Parts Direct in OKC

Expy started right up after installing new fuse box, and seems to be running fine. In fact, it might just be me, but it actually seems to crank/start easier than before the repair.

Attached pic shows PCB removed from fuse box, with area of burning/failure circled.
Thanks again to everyone.

Attachments

• 2014-09-19 17.26-1.jpg
    2014-09-19 17.26-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The second gens have had issues with the fuse box / fuel pump relay, overheated connectors for fuses and a few burned traces. All easy repairs if you are able to solder and can source the smt relays when they are used.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine does a thing where it would crank and not fire it was the relays for a while the relay fix solved it but then i had to change the fuses for the fuel pump and such to get life and then i found it really its the transponder key the key is dying and my truck is stuck in theft mode and wont let ford program any more keys so i think i have to do a computer swap

Last edited:

notwrk

Reaction score
Swapped fuse box and fixed it.

So my 2003 Expy just stopped running on the Interstate... dangerous situation like the GM recalls. So I had it towed to dealer. Dealer replaced fuel pump and filter for $1,400. Six days later it died again... crank and no start. So thank you to this forum for pointing out the relay. I took apart the fuse box and found the burnt relay and traces. Bought the whole fuse box and installed... not too hard and it started just fine. I am including pictures that show the burnt relay and also the new fusebox I purchased.

Attachments

• IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_3433_2.jpg
    IMG_3433_2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_3440_2.jpg
    IMG_3440_2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 396

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... Could some of this also hold true if I'm having a similar problem with a 99 4.6L?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... Could some of this also hold true if I'm having a similar problem with a 99 4.6L?

The fuse box problem is with the 2nd gen's the 1st gens are not affected with this problem as they use different electric circuits

pennell

Reaction score
Fuse box numbers

I have the same problem and have found a used one. The number on mine is 2L1T-14A067-AP AND the number on the used one is 2L1T-14A067-AD. Looks the same but i don't know what the AP / AD difference is.

Raptorsnest

Reaction score
Currently having the same problem. Replaced the fuse box (burned out relay), also replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Does anyone have any further suggestions? Thanks.