2003 Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilyamer

Reaction score
My cruise control hasn't worked in a couple weeks. When I try to turn it on and set it to a speed, nothing happens, and the light on the dash doesn't come on. I checked the fuses for speed control (I think #5 and #12) but they aren't burnt out.

Any ideas about what it could be?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your brake lights all work?

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow these steps, but make sure to read through the sequence thoroughly before attempting. I am not responsible if something breaks.

-----------------------------------------------
Speed Control Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING: This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in PARK only with the emergency brake fully engaged.

NOTE: A review of the following test steps is required before carrying out the Self-Test Diagnostic procedure. After entering the diagnostic mode, the module will time out if the mandatory switch sequence is not completed within 5 seconds. If a module time out occurs, the procedure must be reinitiated.

1. Enter the Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control actuator. Release the OFF switch.
  2. Press and release the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL or CANCEL (for Navigator). The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is pressed and released. Press and release each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
  3. NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and released and the lamp flashes. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) or CANCEL (for Navigator) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switches are defective. If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

2 Flashes BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied
    3 Flashes Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective
  4. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns back to the idle position.
  5. Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two flashes after the 3rd step? Did it do the throttle pedal movement?

OP
OP
I

ilyamer

Reaction score
Yes, it flashed twice after the third step. I also did not notice any throttle movement.

Last edited:

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Reviving this thread for my brother's 2003 Eddie Bauer.

Cruise control doesn't work. So far I've checked the fuses, the brake lights, and the pedal switch (no master cylinder switch on this one); all check good.

I've attempted the koeo check that @ELVATO outlined, and I get nothing. The "cruise" light does not illuminate when I turn the car on while pressing the cruise off switch.

As a note, the "cruise" indicator on the dash does not illuminate at start up with the rest of the Christmas tree.

Would a burned - out indicator bulb lock out the cruise control?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No a burned out bulb would not lock out the cruise control.

I would replace the bulb and then run the test again However if you replace the bulb and it still fails to complete the test I would say that the steering wheel switches are bad or just dirty and not making good contact Dirty contacts are a common problem There is a way to clean them

I will look for a link for that procedure and post it as soon as I find it