2003 Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Soo... you put me on the right track with this. I pulled the switch apart to clean it, and it was just fine, so I whipped out my multi-meter.

The on switch has no continuity... Installing a JY part tonight to see if that's the only problem with the Cruise control.

Information for anyone trouble-shooting these (I'll probably make another thread with more detailed findings):

These switches are wired like the pulse board on the wipers, where each switch goes through a series of resistors and send a signal pulse that is interpreted by the CC module.

There are 3 terminals on the switch board: (when viewed from the driver's seat) the bottom is 12V+ for the backlights; the center is signal in; the top is signal out/ground.

Set your multi-meter to the 2KOhm resistance range, and put the leads on the top and center pins. Press each button, and so long as you get different resistance values for each button, you've got a good circuit board.

Of the 4 that I tested in the junkyard, only one of them had a good circuit board, and they had all failed at the ON button. Based on my trace of the circuit board out of my brother's Expy, there is one resistor in the series that is unique to the ON button, and it had 0 continuity across the resistor.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
  1. ...
  2. ...
  3. NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and released and the lamp flashes. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) or CANCEL (for Navigator) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switches are defective. If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

2 Flashes BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied
    3 Flashes Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective
  4. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns back to the idle position.
  5. ...

So I got the new switches installed, and at step three, I got 2 flashes. That along with a P1703 Brake Switch out of self-test range code indicates that the Brake Pedal Position switch needs replaced as the next step.

Does anyone know if it will still do the dynamic test (step 4) if there is an error code at Step 3?

Allen Miller

Reaction score
I doubt it since it didn' tpass step 3

Allen can you read and understand wiring diagrams

Well, I can confirm that it doesn't do the dynamic test unless it passes the static test - there was a huge difference between before and after I replaced the BPP switch.

Yes, I can read and understand wiring diagrams, that's how I figured out how to diagnose the switch circuit board on the steering wheel switches.

The next question I've got is whether there is a re-learn process for the BPP switch... I got cruise control working right up to the first time I pressed the brake pedal. Pulling up on the brake pedal would let me resume the cruise control.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the prints or do you need them

I have a feeling that you may need to replace the BPP Switch

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Do you have the prints or do you need them

I have a feeling that you may need to replace the BPP Switch
I don't have the prints for the 2003 expedition - I used the prints from the 02 explorer which uses the same steering wheel switches to diagnose those... but the rest of the system I'd need the prints to trouble-shoot.

As for the BPP switch - I just replaced it last night. After replacing the BPP and driving a little bit, I'm still getting the BPP error 2-flash code as well as the P1703 code for BPP "out of self-test range" off of my scan tool. That's why I was asking about a re-learn on the switch, since it stopped working as soon as I used the brakes. To clarify - I know that stepping on the brakes cancels the cruise control - it would not resume or set again until I pulled up on the brake pedal.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speed Control
The speed control system consists of the following components:

• brake pedal position (BPP) switch
  • deactivator switch
  • speed control actuator
  • speed control actuator cable
  • speed control actuator switches
  • powertrain control module (PCM)