2003 Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The BPP switch has two circuits going thru it Just because the brake lights may work does not mean that the circuit for the CC is good

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you get the prints Look at the wiring for the BPP Switch Check the fuse that feeds the switch Make sure you have voltage going to the switch Then press the switch and check to see if voltage is coming out of the switch

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Hmm... looking at the diagrams you sent, I'm still not sure where the problem lies. I'll go under there with a multi-meter tonight when I get home from work and see what results I get.

Fuse 5 is good.

I certainly am not any closer to understanding why it worked briefly, then stopped working.

I almost wonder if the adjustable pedals are contributing to this, or if I've got a wiring short somewhere in the harness.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I said Check the BPP Switch You saying that you had to pull up on the switch males me think that there a problem with the contacts in the switch can be an easy fix Been there done that

What make of switch did you install and please don't say doorman LOL

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Holy cow... what a ride. I think I've finally got it sorted... I haven't done a road test yet, but it passes all the diagnostic tests several times, with a couple stomps of the pedal in between repetitions.

Edit to add: Road tested, and works as normal.

So with the new switch (napa house brand), I was reading 12v+ at terminals 1,5, and 6. Oddly enough, i was reading an open circuit 5-6 with the body harness unplugged. I opened it up and the cc switch had about 0.005" of opening - open enough to not arc with the millivolt test signal from my multimeter, but close enough to arc with 12v.

I also noticed that with the original switch, i was reading 12v+ at 1, 5, and 6, but a closed circuit 5-6. Then i noticed the rattling from the switch.

Turns out the factory switch has a 3rd switch internal to the switch body, that doesn't connect to anything on the body harness. This 3rd switch had broken, and a fragment had fallen down onto the cc switch, shorting it out.

Tl;dr: aftermarket switch was bad out of the box, factory switch was repairable. Cruise works... for now.

Last edited:

comtecjon

Reaction score
Hi,
Looks like i'm having a similar problem with my 2003 ford expedition I replace the bbp switch twice and getting two flashes and the end then I push the break pedal a few times then it passes, the old bpp switch worked every time still no cruise sync.I shouldn't have replaced it. I thought the bpp switch was the deactivator switch? is there a certain way to install the bbp switch. ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni