2003 Exp EB key did not turn off car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This next test may seem weird but set your meter to DC volts, red lead to a test point on fuse 24 black lead to pin 10 c270e violet/orange.

You are looking for 0 volts after the waiting period.
The instrument cluster is acting as a switch providing a path to ground for the relay. When the time is up the path opens and kills power to the circuits. We want to see if it has failed in the "closed position".

If it has a ground will always be present.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by set your meter to DC volts. I thought everything we've done was DC volts. Look at my meter pix and let me know what I change.

Also is this both F18 in and out?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Telling you to set the meter to DC volts is a habit from teaching.
All fuses need to be in. This is just seeing if the ground through the cluster is working correctly.

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With F18 out, no voltage

With F18 in, voltage.

Is the relay serviceable or does it mean a new instrument panel?

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You did wait like the other test, right?

If so the cluster may be at fault but has not been proven yet. Should it be the cluster it would be cheaper to "redneck" a solution so that you can turn the engine off.

Relays are not serviceable - replace only. The relay isn't the issue. The cluster may be. The cluster electronically connects the control side of a relay to ground using transistors. This turns the relay on. When it wants to turn the relay off it "removes" the connection to ground.

I think a new panel is @$350 plus the dealer has to "marry" it to the pcm. Expect another $150. So spend $500 to find out if it is the problem - not me.

You could also send it out to a cluster repair facility for testing but still spend some bucks to find out if it is at fault.

Either way it hasn`t been proven faulty at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I waited over 15 minutes with F18 installed. I also noticed the electric windows still worked as well.

Without F18, the windows didnt work for long after the door shut.

So what is next step sir?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to sleep on it. I doubt you have the tools to remove pins from the connectors so I need to think "outside of the box".

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not have the tool, but have no problem getting one.

I'll rerun the last 2 tests again a little later, just to validate the numbers.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you want to do a cheap bandaid or fix it the right way and spend a few hundred or possibly more bucks?

OP
OP
R

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Give me both options please. And list any downsides with bandaid approach.

I'm making the assumption the "right way" is a new cluster and a 750-1000 hole in my pocket. If that is an incorrect assumption please correct.