2003 Expedition caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I've been looking into this bleeding issue further. What I'm finding is the abs scanner and bleeder only needs to be used if you disrupted the abs unit. Otherwise I would start the usual bleeding sequence at r/r, then l/r, r/f, and finish off with left front caliper bleeding. If your getting solid fluid stream from the other three, you've isolated down to the l/f caliper, hose/line feeding it, or caliper bleeder itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaanufs

Reaction score
Well I've been looking into this bleeding issue further. What I'm finding is the abs scanner and bleeder only needs to be used if you disrupted the abs unit. Otherwise I would start the usual bleeding sequence at r/r, then l/r, r/f, and finish off with left front caliper bleeding. If your getting solid fluid stream from the other three, you've isolated down to the l/f caliper, hose/line feeding it, or caliper bleeder itself.

That jives with my experience with my 2003.

I've not had a problem with my ABS scanner, so it has never required to be involved in the routine brake line bleeding steps. Now I've learnt that if I do have an ABS unit issue ever, my brake bleeding job becomes more complex the first time afterwards. Good to know.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully the op gets back to us, and not a one time poster. Now I'm curious.

JoeD

Reaction score
If the piston was completely bottomed out, this sometimes occurs, its like it becomes "air bound" and requires more work to get it moving. Reverse bleeding will/should get fluid to the piston.

On the other hand, the reman caliper may be ****.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like you stated earlier, try bleeding one of the other 3, if they bleed fine, particularly the r/f then you got a bad one. I've never had a bad new caliper. It's possible but pretty rare. The other possibility is if the r/f won't bleed, could be air at the m/cylinder. Anytime you disrupt hydraulics anything is possible.