2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the bumper isn't a bolt on. You need to cut off the mounting brackets for the old bumper and bolt on a couple of mounting plates to the top and bottom of the chassis beams.

Capture1.jpg

The bumper has to then get lifted into position and you have to weld the bumper to the mounting plates.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Seems like tedious work, good luck to the poor soul that has to put this sucker on while maintaining perfect alignment/fitment.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like tedious work, good luck to the poor soul that has to put this sucker on while maintaining perfect alignment/fitment.

Yea, no doubt! I could be wrong but their mounting scheme also doesn't instill confidence. So I'm asking the other shop to do what they think is appropriate for a winch bumper. Not sure how Hard Notch Customs mount their bumpers but I'll find out come Thursday.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Danm... got a call from HNC yesterday telling me that they are too slammed to get me in today. Won't be able to get me in until next week! Oh well. I guess I'll have to get my wheels on order. Haven't quite decided. I'd go for the chrome XD Rockstars but the offsets they come in for our bolt pattern (6x135) are +35, +10, -24, and -44. Was hoping for something around -12. If my math is close, current offset with the stock wheels is +44 or so, meaning a back spacing of around 5". The +10's would get me closest to the original back spacing and would move the outside of the tire out towards the curb a little over 2 inches with a 12.5" tire, which wouldn't be bad if tires will clear. I've read some of you had some trimming and pounding of pinch welds with -6 offsets so -12 would be even worse.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Bob. I think we are all anxiously waiting to see the pictures.

Thanks, Andy. Yea, I was bummed. I'm hoping this is a one time delay. Just in case, I'm watching a bunch of Youtube videos on how to weld, looks pretty easy... ha ha... just kidding!

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just ordered my wheels off of Custom Offsets. They were a little cheaper on Amazon but some of the reviews about getting damaged wheels made me a little nervous. Decided on the XD Rockstars in chrome (I know, I know... but black just doesn't get me excited). 20x8.5 with a plus 10 offset. Wanted a slightly negative offset but I would have had to go down to an 18" wheel. Here's what she should look like compared to what she currently looks like...

upload_2017-4-23_14-34-46.png

upload_2017-4-23_13-58-28.png

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I think the chrome better suits your truck with the glosdish lower trim.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys! No matter which wheel I looked at, I'd always find myself going back to these. Now I just need to get that bumper mounted... appointment is for this Thursday and REALLY hoping they can get me in this week. I may need to consider a plan B.