2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You should be using anti seize on that spring compressor. That will stop the nuts from binding up

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was binding because the spring compressor was a bit abused and not maintained by NAPA. The nuts had very little thread left so the binding was the nut beginning to jump threads, for the third time. I've got a new set of compressors that I'm borrowing from O'Reily's. Looks to be in great shape so the rear springs should go much faster. Thanks for the suggestion though!

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got a jump on the rear. Shock assembly came out pretty easily. Bottom bolt needed a little convincing to come out and I had to get the tie rod out of the way but wasn't too bad.

IMG_6254.JPG IMG_6256.JPG IMG_6258.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new spring compressor was SOOO much better. Had no concern cranking on that one. Got the spring off and shock in place pretty quickly. Reused the old bumper and dust cover. It went back in as easy as it came out. Only thing that hung me up was how far lower the shock was. I started removing the end link to the sway bar hoping that would allow the control arm to drop down but decided to call it a night before I got that far. Will finish up tomorrow night, if all goes well.

IMG_6257.JPG IMG_6260.JPG IMG_6261.JPG

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got an update from Natalie (WAM Bumpers)... looks like my bumper is ready for paint prep. I'm liking how it's shaping up!

20170313_164241.jpg

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finished the springs/shocks/lift this evening. To get the rear shocks back in place, in addition to the end link and the toe link, I ended up having to undo the top control arm from the hub. I didn't realize this but it's an adjustable bolt... must be for camber. Used the extension cord to keep the toe link out of the way.

IMG_6269.JPG IMG_6270.JPG IMG_6274.JPG

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Feels good to have it done! I'll take some "after" pictures tomorrow. It's surprising how high it feels... like when I opened the lift gate, the rear deck felt like it was chest level! Ha ha!

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good work!!!!! i have thought of doing something like that to mine.. but just not sure... want to do kind of an Overland adventure rig.. .tho ill never take it anywhere because I live in Kansas.l...lol