2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Andy, I noticed that you were asking about reprogramming the speedometer for your larger tires a while back. Did you ever get around to that? Was just wondering if this was something that required a special programmer. Thanks!
Hey Bob, I just saw this, We have been traveling and I haven't been keeping up with the forum. After I put my larger tires on my 05 I used several of those gps phone apps to check my speed and I found out that my 20" tires were spot on with the speedometer. I did notice that with my 17, the speedometer is 2 MPH slow with stock tires. I have been told that the dealer can calibrate the speedometer with the computer but I have not asked them to do it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also did a little spray painting to see how the two toned bumper would look. I think I like it! I may just cut off the A frame from the top of the bumper to go for a more subtle look, which would go well with the attempt at a factory paint scheme. Will need to bring the trim color down onto the bumper to tie it in.
If it was me, I'd probably leave the A frame and paint it white - it protects the grille plus it gives you an extra place to strap on to if you need it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received the spray paint today and did a little late night painting. I only painted the white to lower it down to match the level of the rest of the trim. I'll get the beige next... see how I can bring the beige down from the trim to the bumper. I'm really liking how this is turning out!

View attachment 20644

View attachment 20645

View attachment 20646
That actually looks good. Since you aren't following the bumper lines, you could run the trim color up the sides to match the trim around the wheel well.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome back! Hope you had a nice trip, Andy. Sounds like the Ecoboost engine packs some pwer! I never realized Ford had twin turbos on them! Sweet!

I'm actually on buisness travel for the week but will get back to color scheme on the bumper when I get back. Yes, my plan was to follow the trim color arond the wheel to meet up with the beige on the bumper. We'll see what that looks like.

Thanks for your suggestion on the speedo. I haven't check speed yet but I did notice my miles to empty being higher than normal. Also, gearing with the bigger tires doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back! Hope you had a nice trip, Andy. Sounds like the Ecoboost engine packs some pwer! I never realized Ford had twin turbos on them! Sweet!

I'm actually on buisness travel for the week but will get back to color scheme on the bumper when I get back. Yes, my plan was to follow the trim color arond the wheel to meet up with the beige on the bumper. We'll see what that looks like.

Thanks for your suggestion on the speedo. I haven't check speed yet but I did notice my miles to empty being higher than normal. Also, gearing with the bigger tires doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting.
We are still in PA visiting family and friends. Going to a friends house for dinner tonight and going over to my sister's house to visit my dad this afternoon. I'm waiting on my wife and her mother to come back from shopping before we head out.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, after a long delay due to business travel and just being too busy, a couple of things to share...

Drove up to Kelso to have the bumper worked on again. Doctored up the ends where it ties into the trim. The guy did a really good job and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I also had him weld the A-frame back on. Tried the bumper in all white but didn't like it so it's now back to two toned. Just need to add a little more beige to tie the two together.

Here's the before...

IMG_6917.JPG

And here's the after...

IMG_7588.JPG

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also had some vibration coming from one of the tires. Took it back to Les Schwab just this past Friday to have them rebalanced (road force again). This time I noticed the guy pulling the left rear tire off, spinning it on the wheel, and remounting it. I didn't catch exactly what the problem was but had to do with how the tire was sitting on the wheel. He said something was too high, so he pulled it, repositioned it, soaped it up real good and got it to sit properly. His last words, "Now it's where it needs to be so should drive fine". Whatever he did it's riding much better. I did also feel a really bad vibration, under load, when up around 65-70 on the unadjusted speedo. Haven't checked after the tire fix to see if that's what was causing it or if I have a U-joint going out.

I do have a little play in the steering. When warm, I can move the steering wheel a degree or two before I actually feel any resistance. I think I've isolated it to the intermediate steering shaft... little movements of the steering wheel can be felt on the shaft until I get below the coupling. Then the movement has a delay. I have a new one coming and can't wait to get rid of that slop!

IMG_7532.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of the tire being too high, is the balance dot or mark that's supposed to line up with the valve stem. I've never seen one cause issue on tire balance, particular on a rear, but what I think is whoever mounted it didn't inflate it or lube it enough to seat the tire bead. That would cause all kinds of fun. It would feel like a bent wheel. The other possibility is their balancer is out of whack. They need to be checked every 6 months or so, but rarely are. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Moose... that would make sense. And it did feel like a bent rim... had one on my Subaru not too long ago. took forever to figure that one out. What gets me is no one figured it out the last time I had the wheels rebalanced for vibration. I'm going to send a note to that Les Schwab to highlight the awesome troubleshooting by the guy who fixed it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got to remember, last thing an employee wants to tell a boss, is he's got to spend his money to keep everything right. No unfortunately they wait till a machine breaks, or they have so many complaints, then they have to fix it. Would be nice if the companies that sell the equipment came out on a regular fix it basics, to make sure all is well. Never happens. Besides balancing, the biggest culprit is the 4 sensitive heads on a 4 wheel alignment rack. Besides the education difference between a junior or senior tech to compensate for issues on a four or all wheel vehicle, if one of the sensitive heads gets dropped, then all measurements are thrown off. Again a subordinate employee will never tell his superior he dropped an expensive piece of equipment. Just the way it is I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk