2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WAM is just doing the bumper, 5" round outer lights, and Winch mount.
Everything else I can after I pick it up.
And a friend of mine is going to see about building some kickers in the front and rear corners so that I can use a Hi-lift jack if I need to change out a wheel for a spare. And some other things to make things more easier when I'm off-roadin / mudding/Trail riding..
I'm about done building a metal battery tray/holder bc the factory plastic tray broke a couple weekends ago when riding in the woods.
I should have it done this Saturday Lord willing..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im no expert...but aint the usual response to air WAAAY down to like 15 psi and then drive nowhere near a rut????

I'm no expert either, but my Gen 1 lives at the beach and gets driven on sand more than on road, so I keep the tires at a constant 15psi since my house is only a couple miles from the drive on beach entrance and have never had a problem. Most time when i see someone stuck i tell them I won't take my strap out of the truck until they try airing down. 90% of the time they air down and walk right outta whatever mess they were in.

View media item 6423

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about you not being an expert, Jim.... certainly highly experienced :).

How would you compare driving in the deep lose sand with fully inflated vs aired way down tires? Is it night and day? Like you could go anyway? Just really curious because I know it's a common practice for better traction. I've never done it (no way to air back up).
I'm no expert either, but my Gen 1 lives at the beach and gets driven on sand more than on road, so I keep the tires at a constant 15psi since my house is only a couple miles from the drive on beach entrance and have never had a problem. Most time when i see someone stuck i tell them I won't take my strap out of the truck until they try airing down. 90% of the time they air down and walk right outta whatever mess they were in.

View media item 6423

I'm not so sure about you not being an expert, Jim.... certainly highly experienced :).

How would you compare driving in the deep lose sand with fully inflated vs aired way down tires? Is it night and day? Like you could go anyway? Just really curious because I know it's a common practice for better traction. I've never done it (no way to air back up).

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hahaha.. yeah Brother I'd help ya with yours also if u was closer. And I'm finally ordering my WAM Bumper tomorrow can't wait to get it on. Well n 6 weeks lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Scoot... did you get your bumper on order?

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yes. 35 psi vs 15 psi is luke driving two totally different vehicles on loose sand. When you are running street pressure you feel the tires slip. You are afraid to slow down or stop. Aired down you have a lot more tire contacting the sand. Tires don't slip. You can drive 10 mph, stop, and resume without worry

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. 35 psi vs 15 psi is luke driving two totally different vehicles on loose sand. When you are running street pressure you feel the tires slip. You are afraid to slow down or stop. Aired down you have a lot more tire contacting the sand. Tires don't slip. You can drive 10 mph, stop, and resume without worry

I'm going to have to try it next time, thanks for sharing that!

Hey, what's the big contraption on the front of your rig? I think I see lights on the very front. If I had to guess I would say fishing rod holders but there are so many.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. Holds a big cooler, 8 fishing rods and two five gallon buckets
I got carried away designing it and by time I fished it blocked the headlights, so I installed snow plow lights out front to solve that problem

20161119_141113.jpg