2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. Holds a big cooler, 8 fishing rods and two five gallon buckets
I got carried away designing it and by time I fished it blocked the headlights, so I installed snow plow lights out front to solve that problem

View attachment 21586

Actually when I first saw those lights up front my mind went to snow plow. That's a cool setup!

Just out of curiosity, what types of fish can you catch surf fishing? I see people do it all the time but never asked.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually when I first saw those lights up front my mind went to snow plow. That's a cool setup!

Just out of curiosity, what types of fish can you catch surf fishing? I see people do it all the time but never asked.

Depends on where you are. Here on East coast we target striped bass and blue fish mainly. 13045.jpeg

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been wanting to put some LED lights in for the license plate bulbs so finally got around to that. Took me FOUR days!

Day one... took off the two plastic screw/clips that hold the light lenses in place, removed the old bulbs, and set everything including the screw driver on the bumper. I didn't have the LED bulbs yet but was planning on getting them in the morning.

Day two... decided to go to the beach! So I put the light project on hold. Drove out to the beach, had some amazing fish and chips (tuna) at the Bowpicker in Astoria. Upon returning to my car... I saw a screw driver sitting on the rear bumper. DAMN!! Totally forgot I had put everything back there! Both lenses were gone, never to be seen again!

While I was there I decided to take the Expedition onto the beach by Ft Stevens and drove down towards Seaside. I've driven this strip of the beach many times and there are a couple of places where people have driven up and down from the banks and I've wondered what it would take to get up there. Thought I should try it but was pretty sure I couldn't make it. However... I saw an older gen Toyota Land Cruiser get a run at one and he make it up so figured I'd give it a shot!

I put her in 4 low and went for it. Got about 3/4 of the way up and bogged down in the sand. Backed down and tried again with a little more of a run, but I was in 4 low so it wasn't THAT much more of a run. Didn't get much further before getting bogged down again. But I noticed that the brakes were hard to push, as if the power steering wasn't working so I figured the traction control was getting in my way by cutting power. Backed back down, pushed and held down the advanctrac button until it chimed, put it in 4 hi for a bit more speed, was able to keep RPMs up and I drove right up!! What a world of difference!

IMG_8579.JPG

Reminded me of last winter when I was trying to get out of my neighborhood in a foot and a half of snow. I could only get so far before bogging down just like in the sand. After several attempts I finally decided to try disabling advanctrac. I drove right out. Wasn't 100% sure if it was that or if it was just that last attempt but now I'm convinced it was the traction control that was holding me back.

That night I ordered two replacement light lenses and LED bulbs from Amazon. Had prime so I had them by Tuesday.

Day 4... put them on.

License Plate LEDs.JPG

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Damn those are bright! Which ones did u get cause my leds are whimps compared to yours.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great Bob! At my old house we had steep long drive way and with 6" of heavy wet snow on it I couldn't get up the driveway in any range unless I turned off the traction control once I did that it would walk right up. Some times you need that wheel spin to dig in and throw a lot of snow. :D

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I did it's almost done [emoji3][emoji3]c42537f1d7a7b3732998bf053f0f8cef.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oh MAN!! That's exciting!! Looks AWESOME!! How are you going to finish it? Bedliner or primer? Thanks for the update... I was going to ask you how it was going. Can't wat to see it mounted up. Hopefully you won't take as long as I did :).

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh MAN!! That's exciting!! Looks AWESOME!! How are you going to finish it? Bedliner or primer? Thanks for the update... I was going to ask you how it was going. Can't wat to see it mounted up. Hopefully you won't take as long as I did :).
Bedliner.. I'm gonna do some reinforcement to the bumper as mine isn't no Mall Crawler I use it alot off-roading and I can't have the bumper weak.
I'm picking it up n raw metal form so that I can add my touches then Shoot it with Bedliner..

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bedliner.. I'm gonna do some reinforcement to the bumper as mine isn't no Mall Crawler I use it alot off-roading and I can't have the bumper weak.
I'm picking it up n raw metal form so that I can add my touches then Shoot it with Bedliner..

I may cut this part off if it isn't high enough upwards as I need more tire exposed in front for climbing stuff without the bumper catching first.
Depending on what it looks like mounted..
Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to explain..lolf95149c2468194695c4bbb41d00f630a.jpg