2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the bumper finished. I have been thinking about getting one made also. I would definitely have to get mine the eddie bauer tan

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wasn't able to get back before dark, so no "after" picture. I did, however, receive install instructions from Natalie. Sounds like it's not a simple bolt on. The mounting brackets have to be put in place without the bumper, and then the bumper is welded to the brackets once the bumper is positioned the way you want it... take a look:

Attachments

• WiF15020048.pdf
    797.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew I had to cut up the front bumper assembly but this picture that Natalie sent me gives me better feel for what's needed.

014.JPG

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And another picture she sent with the bumper in position once the bumper assembly is trimmed up. I had read on a different forum that the bottom part of the grill flops around so will need to MacGyver something up to hold it in place. I'm also not 100% sold on the strength of the mount... essentially mounted to the lower bolts that mount the old tow points with a bracket on top, I guess for stronger anti-rotation. Most of the bumpers, including the one I'm getting, has some beefy shackle mounts (not on this bumper) so I would want the bumper to be able to support a recovery attempt... wouldn't look good if it ripped off :oops:

I do dig the look of the bumper though!

024.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meant to make an appointment for an alignment, since I messed up the rear camber, but totally spaced it off. Will do that tomorrow. I'll also ask them to double check all bolts and retorque the bottom shock bolts because of the uber high torque required.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the bumper finished. I have been thinking about getting one made also. I would definitely have to get mine the eddie bauer tan

Yes, it's definitely a personal preference thing. I do like the black bumper look, it has that adventurer appearance. But I think I prefer the color to match :)

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good work!!!!! i have thought of doing something like that to mine.. but just not sure... want to do kind of an Overland adventure rig.. .tho ill never take it anywhere because I live in Kansas.l...lol

Ha ha... that's funny. The only off roading I've done is driving on the beach, which I absolutely LOVE doing! Not sure why. Maybe it's just because I get to use 4 wheel drive. Don't really need it until you get into the deep sand by the ramp or up away from surf or pulling someone out of those areas.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crap... Les Schwab isn't able to get me in for an alignment until next week so I'll have to hold off on driving the Expedition for a while. I have taken it out for a short drive to get a feel for the lift. Doesn't feel much different in the hood but am curious about how it will feel on the freeway. I did some tight turns in a local parking lot and it felt like the steering wheel would start turning really easy, almost by itself once I got close to full lock which is a bit different. Perhaps this is a bit naive of me but I'm really hoping the handling doesn't change because I love how she handles and drives so would hate to have inadvertently changed that for the worse with the small lift.

I do need to be more aware of the lift... when I went to get out of the car I almost fell on my keester because I was expecting to hit ground with my foot as I was sliding out of the driver's seat and only felt air :)

AskMeLater

Reaction score
(OK, what the hell is it? Top looks like a strut, fits in the spring like a strut but the bottom looks like a shock. Perhaps it's a shrut)

Good job, VB. In reference to your post #13, these are coil-over-shocks, not struts. Remember, a strut is actually part of the front end geometry. A strut replaces the upper control arm. Of course, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did my own shock r&r after I bought my '03 a few years ago. It was fun! Bilsteins, also. Very nice!

Also, for anyone contemplating doing this yourself, I would highly recommend using the OTC clamshell-style spring compressor. (Model 6494, if IIRC). If you happen to live in the Amarillo area, I have one you can borrow.