2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockclutch

Reaction score
Well... I bit the bullet over the holiday break and got the new gears installed. Went with the 4.56's. As a last minute sanity check I talked to the guys at the shop about 4.11's vs 4.56's and they said the 4.11's aren't that big of a step up from the 3.73's and that I wouldn't even feel the difference. So stuck with the 4.56's.

I must say I'm happy with the results! Where she used to labor to keep speed on a gradual incline she now maintains speed with little effort. On steeper grades, where I would need to keep pushing the accelerator while still losing speed until she down shifted, I now get a good response, sometimes even while staying in OD. Overall she just feels lighter and more responsive.

I do need to get my computer updated because while with the 35" tires I ran about 10% faster than speedo, I'm now running about 10% slower than the speedo. I must say that the difference, while noticeable and positive, it wasn't extreme... so I can see why they said the 4.11's wouldn't be noticeable, certainly much more subtle. Speedo would have been correct though :).

View attachment 23036

Rear end ready to be re-installed... old ring & pinion and diff in the back.

View attachment 23035

Front end close to being done. I decided to go ahead and have front and rear lockers installed. Almost decided to pass on the fronts and put the money towards a winch but my testosterone kept me from making such a practical decision.

View attachment 23033

When they asked where I wanted the switches... I thought the left side of the dash, right above the hood release would be the easiest.... OR... tucked away where the ash tray was. I think they couldn't pass on the opportunity to put them somewhere inconspicuous for that James Bond look... glad they were willing to go to the trouble to mount them there! :)

View attachment 23034

View attachment 23032
WTF? Your expy came with an ashtray?
LOL

Congratulations on getting this done and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you also air up with your air compressor?
You have to have a supply of air on board for use on demand. You could have a storage tank, but then you would have to be sure to keep it topped off or you might not have the air pressure when you need it to lock the axles.

Last edited:

Daveyj

Reaction score
Looks great. I've had a lot of fun reading this thread.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you also air up with your air compressor?

Yes, I opted for the middle of the road compressor which powers the lockers plus provides on-board air. There was also a larger, dual compressor version that can provide enough air to power air tools.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It took them about two days to get it all done. I was able to hang around a bit, take pictures, lend a hand here and there. Mostly just tried staying out of their way. When it was all done they had found two small bolts left over but couldn't figure out if it was from my Expy or from a previous job.

On New year's Day, as I was driving my kids home, I get a message on the display saying the engine is over temp and that power is being reduced. I check the water temp and it's pegged! I quickly pull over, cut the engine, popped the hood. First thought was water pump but I just replaced that not too long ago... serpentine belt was in place. Went to check the coolant reservoir and found it flopping around. That's where the two missing bolts came from. I opened the cap, heard a little air escape. Got everything back in place, started the engine and water temp was measuring back at normal level. Really strange. Not sure what happened or how the loose reservoir caused an over temp measurement. But that was the only thing that I could find. I've since got some new bolts in there M6x20mm in case anyone was wondering. Hoping I never see that message again.