2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recieved a note from Natalie at WAM bumpers... my bumper is out of paint (primer) and will be packed for shipment on Monday!

I'm liking the color, even though it doesn't match my trim, I'm liking the non-black color. I'm feeling better about going with having it match my trim.

IMG_6282.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good job, VB. In reference to your post #13, these are coil-over-shocks, not struts. Remember, a strut is actually part of the front end geometry. A strut replaces the upper control arm. Of course, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did my own shock r&r after I bought my '03 a few years ago. It was fun! Bilsteins, also. Very nice!

Also, for anyone contemplating doing this yourself, I would highly recommend using the OTC clamshell-style spring compressor. (Model 6494, if IIRC). If you happen to live in the Amarillo area, I have one you can borrow.

Thanks for the clarification! I think that's the best description of the difference I've seen. Even some of the parts websites aren't sure what to call them. Some call the front a strut and the rear a shock. A bit all over the place.

I have a Harbor Freight clam shell type compressor... granted it may not be the most robust looking tool in the shed, but the problem I had was that the front spring coils were so close together that I couldn't get the "clawed" ends to fit up and over in between the coils. Would definitely have been easier to crank a single bolt vs having to go back and forth. All in all though, once I had a decent pair of spring compressors, the job was pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally managed to get out and take my "after" picture... wheels seem a bit small :(

IMG_6283.JPG

Found a "before" picture...

APPLE_iPhone 6 Plus_435105976-435108653_000.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it my imagination or did the rear wheels come forward a bit? The control arms are at an angle, rotated towards the back. With the lift the wheels may get sucked forward a bit. Or maybe it's just more noticeable because the wheel wells sit up higher?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes- but I'm surprised it's as noticeable with such a small movement in the suspension.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it my imagination or did the rear wheels come forward a bit? The control arms are at an angle, rotated towards the back. With the lift the wheels may get sucked forward a bit. Or maybe it's just more noticeable because the wheel wells sit up higher?
Its normal bc mine did the same in the rear with the 2.5
Its bc of the way the control arms are mounted.
e0948794b9cc6a82a3eaa0fdcf4b3fca.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes- but I'm surprised it's as noticeable with such a small movement in the suspension.

Yes, I agree. Perhaps it's a combination of things... actual movement plus some wide angle iphone camera affect. It didn't stand out like this in real life.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its normal bc mine did the same in the rear with the 2.5
Its bc of the way the control arms are mounted.
e0948794b9cc6a82a3eaa0fdcf4b3fca.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks, Scoot! Great close up shot of how the rear tire sits after the lift. Love your tires, by the way! I like the aggressive tread that wraps onto part of the sidewall.

Hey, does your steering get super easy, almost wants to turn tighter on it's own as you approach full lock? Mine does that and I'm wondering if that's normal as well... thanks!

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did a quick compare, up close... the "before" shot isn't quite the same angle, a little distorted (the wheel really is round :D) but close enough to show it did move but not as much as it appears to have moved.

Compare.JPG