2003 Expedition Face Lift Begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got my alignment after installing the leveling/lift kit so have been doing some driving. Pretty impressed with how little, if any, impact it had on the ride. I did notice more noise coming from the drive train though. It was actually starting to get concerning, thinking I might have to replace one of the CV axle shafts. After driving with this noise for a while I thought I'd try shifting from 2WD to A4WD. Heard a load sucking sound, a clunk, and then the noise went away. I've never heard this noise before when shifting between drive modes. I'd feel a small clunk when shifting to 4L but don't recall hearing or feeling anything when shifting into/from any other mode. So now I'm wondering what I may have done while getting things swapped out/installed. Shifted back and forth between 2WD and A4WD several times and it kept making the same sequence of noises. Will need to get under there and see if I can see anything obvious. I know the hubs are vacuum actuated and that sucking sound is probably the vacuum but I've NEVER heard that before. Anyone have any thoughts?

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention... while I was out and about I saw a Rubicon with these HUGE looking tires. As I was walking up to it, I was expecting to see 37" but they were 35's. I was impressed with how big they were! Thinking there's no way in He## those were going to fit on the Expedition! Maybe they were 38's and I misread the number on the tire. I have measured the tires I currently have and they're right at 30", they just look small. So that's only 2.5" on either side. Another 2.5" of lift. Those tires on the jeep just looked Ginormous!

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was looking for more of the Handicorn vids. Came across this that I thought was kind of funny. I have to be careful with what I say because one of the traits of a mall crawler that this guy reveals is, if you get offended for being called a mall crawler, then you probably are. So I just want to make it clear that I'm NOT offended :).

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Vancouver Bob, post: 257685] So I just want to make it clear that I'm NOT offended :).
[/QUOTE]

I've actually considered making my Expedition into a mall crawler. Give it that offroad look, but not actually use it offroad. My Explorer works way too well offroad to do any serious off-roading in my Expedition.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Vancouver Bob, post: 257685] So I just want to make it clear that I'm NOT offended :).

I've actually considered making my Expedition into a mall crawler. Give it that offroad look, but not actually use it offroad. My Explorer works way too well offroad to do any serious off-roading in my Expedition.[/QUOTE]
Question off/on track (since you have much more off-road time than many of us here; how much off-road ability does the Expedition really have, in your opinion?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In stock form, it would handle trails rated 3-4 (out of 10) pretty well with some scraping. Suspension lift and bigger tires (33 min, 35 or more ideal) now you're doing 5s, maybe 6s. A locker will get you 6-7. Beyond 7, you'll need a lot of custom work. But there are hundreds of trails available at the lower levels.

Last edited:

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In stock form, it would handle trails rated 3-4 (out of 10) pretty well with some scraping. Suspension lift and bigger tires (33 min, 35 or more ideal) now you're doing 5s, maybe 6s. A locker will get you 6-7. Beyond 7, you'll need a lot of custom work. But there are hundreds of trails available at the lower levels.
What is Lockers ?
I see this word used a lot in 4x4 forums

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A locker is a device you install in your differential that locks the axles going out to the tires together. Some lockers are automatic, some are selectable.

Rear lockers are the most common because 1) when going up hill, the weight transfer to the rear puts more strain on the rear axle and 2) you can still steer fairly well. A locker in the front makes steering nearly impossible, a rear locker on the street isn't great but you can usually still turn (with some tire chirping). But that's the beauty of selectable lockers: they are only engaged when you want them engaged.

And then there's LSDs: limited slip differentials. These are similar to lockers but only come in automatic type and won't lock as solidly as a locker. Most of these are clutch type but there are also gear type LSDs. I have Truetrac geared LSDs in my Explorer.

Unless you are doing a lot of offroad, I wouldn't worry about one. An ARB air locker is a popular locker. You'll need the locker and an air compressor (about $1000) and then installation is the same as setting up the gears in the differential so that's about another $500-$1000.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A locker is a device you install in your differential that locks the axles going out to the tires together. Some lockers are automatic, some are selectable.

Rear lockers are the most common because 1) when going up hill, the weight transfer to the rear puts more strain on the rear axle and 2) you can still steer fairly well. A locker in the front makes steering nearly impossible, a rear locker on the street isn't great but you can usually still turn (with some tire chirping). But that's the beauty of selectable lockers: they are only engaged when you want them engaged.

And then there's LSDs: limited slip differentials. These are similar to lockers but only come in automatic type and won't lock as solidly as a locker. Most of these are clutch type but there are also gear type LSDs. I have Truetrac geared LSDs in my Explorer.

Unless you are doing a lot of offroad, I wouldn't worry about one. An ARB air locker is a popular locker. You'll need the locker and an air compressor (about $1000) and then installation is the same as setting up the gears in the differential so that's about another $500-$1000.
Ok thanks for the info

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the call from the freight terminal this morning... bumper is "in the house"!! Unfortunately I didn't drive the Expedition to work, plus I wouldn't have had the time to pick it up anyways. Will get it tomorrow! Can't wait to see it in person!