2003 expy CJB issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expygirl03

Reaction score
Okay, so I know ALL about the internal relay r303 that consistently burns out on this particular vehicle. I ordered a new relay for it and replaced it internally. (A $20 fix versus buying a new fuse box) Drove it down the street, was perfectly fine for about 10 minutes... And the new relay burned as well. :( a lot of time and energy went into the desoldering and replacing the internal relay, and I refused to try that again, since it didn't work the first time... so I bought another CJB, from a 2004 Lincoln Navigator. I was told it was the same as what my suv needed and it looks the same.

I hook up the new CJB.... car starts just fine... except it now has the abs, brake, and battery light on. And the message center says check charging system.

I'm a single mom, doing all of this myself, trying to salvage our only car and save as much money at the same time.

I don't know where to start now.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks can be deceiving Look at the fuse box that you got from the 2004 Navigator. There will be a white sticker on the side of the fuse box The replacement fuse box MUST have the same exact part number as the original fuse box.

Now if you like I can send you some information on what you can do to get the original fuse box to work until you get the correct replacement

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 03 expy used 2 different fuse boxes an early production and a late production box They both look the same but they are not interchangeable. And any of the 04 boxes will not work 100% in a 03

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the attached link.
Pay attention to post 6 and 7 in that thread.
Look at the video and the 6 minute to 7 minute part of the video
Then reinstall you original fuse box and place a jumper where I explained in that thread
Your expy should fire up and run unless there is further damage to the original fuse box
This is just a temporary and safe fix until you get a replacement fuse box

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/03-5-4-wont-stay-running.33169/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Expygirl03

Expygirl03

Reaction score
Look at the attached link.
Pay attention to post 6 and 7 in that thread.
Look at the video and the 6 minute to 7 minute part of the video
Then reinstall you original fuse box and place a jumper where I explained in that thread
Your expy should fire up and run unless there is further damage to the original fuse box
This is just a temporary and safe fix until you get a replacement fuse box

I've done the bypass. For 2 weeks. While waiting on the parts to arrive... first the r303 relay and when that didn't work, waiting for the other fuse box to come in.

So, I need another fuse box?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sad to say yes Unless you can find a fuse box with the same exact part number as the original

Now the new replacement may have a different part number that supersedes the original part number

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bedrck47 what link? Nothing shows as a link.

I'd fix the original cjb once the amount of current draw is known for the circuit that is giving trouble.

OP
OP
Expygirl03

Expygirl03

Reaction score
I tried to fix the original cjb. And it ended up burning out the new internal relay that I put on it.

I managed to get the abs and brake light off after noticing a failed fuse. But the battery light is still on and the check charging system is still in the message center.

Everywhere I look it says the cjb i bought is interchangeable with my old one. There are no other symptoms. Car is running, but I haven't driven it, because I'm afraid to cause more damage. Original part number was 2L1t and this one says 4L7t which is listed as 03-06 ford expedition replacement part. I need to figure out exactly which one I need, because I'm really tired of wasting money.