2003 - Folding 2nd row seats flat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewExpy

Reaction score
We are new to a 2003 Expedition XLT. I see photos here of the 3rd and 2nd row folded flat - with a huge cargo area. We've been able to fold both seats down, but notice the 2nd row seats aren't completely flat - they have a slight tilt up towards the front row seats. Is there a trick to getting them completely flat??

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

If I remember correctly there is a loop near the front bottom of the the outboard seats that you have to pull while pushing the seats down. You will have nice flat platform all the way to the back.

Second Row Seating.JPG

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, that's the trick... pull the loops below the front of the left and right middle seats. The middle middle goes down with the pull of the loop right by the seat belt (right side as you're sitting on it). That's as flat as they go.

OP
OP
N

NewExpy

Reaction score
Thanks, all. We got it done.
Next question:
Once the 2nd row seats are folded flat, there is a gap between those seats and the flat 3rd row seats. Is there a way to push the 2nd row seats back (to fill in the gap), or has someone invented a 'gap filler' so the area is flat?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can cut a piece of plywood to use as a filler Cut it wider than the opening and then take a 2X6 and screw it to the plywood it will fill in the gap between the seats and keep the plywood from sliding I also cover the plywood with vinyl or a piece of carpet

Use 1/4 inch plywood

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. We got it done.
Next question:
Once the 2nd row seats are folded flat, there is a gap between those seats and the flat 3rd row seats. Is there a way to push the 2nd row seats back (to fill in the gap), or has someone invented a 'gap filler' so the area is flat?
No. I just used a piece of 1/4" masonite peg board and just threw a blanket over it when ever I needed it to be completely flat like when I was loading my model airplanes and needed a flat area. The rough back side keeps it from sliding around and I cut it so that it fits in the back with the third row seats down long ways front to back or across if I have the third row seats up. That way it's always with the truck if I need it.

Now I need two pieces because my 17 has second row captain's chairs and now I have the gap between the seats as well as the gap you were talking about.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, I would just stuff the gap with a bag or whatever's available during the times I was sleeping back there. Uncomfortable as hell! Started using padding and thin air mattress which helped. Been eyeing those tents that you mount on the roof... really cool... like having a tree house!

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oddly enough, Ford abandoned the solution to the gap
between the folded 2nd and 3rd row seats after the
first gen. I had both a '97 and '05 and miss some of the
small detail features of the '97 that they eliminated,
I guess, in exchange for the better engineering of the
later models. On the '97, they had neat fold down
panels that locked into the second row seatbacks
but came down to fill the gaps. They were carpeted
to match the floor. Now, with the '05, I better fill the
gaps or my dog might break his leg moving back &
forth. I have a gray interior, so the factory looking
solution for me to mimmick the solution of my '97
is to make gray carpeted luan plywood panels that
adhere to the matching gray industrial Velcro you
can get in the box stores. Stick four corners of the
felt loop side to the 2nd row seatbacks and top of the
third and the coarse hook side to the downward side
of the panel you make. Now it will store behind the
2nd row seatback when upright and bridge the gap
between 2nd & 3rd when folded down, just like first
gen '97 to '02.
Stephen

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the eddie bauer 2003 exedition and my middle seats don't have this loop on the two sides they have a latch in the back that flips them forward and the brackets are all covered in plastic. Really sucks. I would like them to fold forward

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The loop I'm talking about is the one half of the velcro
strips that you have to add to seatbacks and fabricated
luan and carpeted panels, whether you have the
electrically folding seats or the manual, same mod.
I would provide photos, but this is something that
I thought up that is still on my todo list.
The other loop that is being discussed are the black
nylon ones that all 2nd gens should have that releases
the articulated brackets under the middle seats that drop them once they are folded down. It moves them forward and down toward the front seatbacks. This make the surface even with the rear. This procedure, unfortunately, creates the gap.