2003 Ford Expedition Stereo/Windows intermittent failure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capone

Reaction score
Ok. quick back story. I have been chasing this problem for a while now off and on. The expedition doesn't see a lot of miles and other then the stereo and windows intermittently losing power it runs fine. Since the stereo isn't super important on a rig that is primarily used for family trips and with climate control the windows haven't been a big issue I haven't messed with it too much.

Here is what I know. Intermittently the stereo and windows lose power. I can usually hear a click in the dash when this happens. Originally, I thought it was the factory stereo as it was about a decade old when I bought it. I replaced the stereo but the problem persisted and got much worse. I read on some other forums for ford trucks of the same generation that they have sporadic wiring issues due to bad solder points within the instrument cluster. I have had mine out a few times and inspected it with no signs of bad solder points. Every time I put it back together it works great for a short while then begins deteriorating again. I have narrowed it down to the plug at the instrument cluster but I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. I am at the point where I am thinking of just rewiring that one accessory wire to bypass the problem. Any advice? Or does anybody have a good wiring schematic for this? I can't seem to find one.
Thanks,

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One item that both the radio and windows have in common is the Accessory Delay Relay
It is powered from the fuse box and the ground circuit is thru the Instrument panel.
That is most likely the clicking you are hearing.

Get yourself a copy of the Ford Service manual on DVD as it will have all the wiring diagrams you would need. The manual will be specific to your year and model.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/factory-service-manuals.25089/

OP
OP
C

Capone

Reaction score
Thanks,
I just got back on as life is what it is and I have been quite busy, not to mention the weather here hasn't been very friendly to working on my vehicle. I just sent the PM about the service manual, Thanks.

Through some other research I found some stuff on an explorer forum that had pointed me in that direction, as well as the possibility of a broken wire in the driver's side door. I am at work now but will replace the relay for starters as soon as I get home.