2004 6 cd changer no longer works..think its jammed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allergen

Reaction score
The other night I was listening to a cd and when I clicked to switch to another disk got a nice cruch sound like it scratched my disk royally and a few more crunches here and there, than got a BAD DISK and went to radio. I clicked CD to and got some more crunches, than said ejecting but never did. after clicking cd again it finally played the cd, well for 30 seconds then the cruches continued and then the radio shut off. I turned it on and it said INTIALIZING and then went straight to the radio and now when i click CD it says NO DISK. when i click EDJ or LOAD it says CD ERROR or sometimes randomly INTIALIZING. It makes noise like its attempting to do something with the cds when i start the car but no longer with pushing the buttons. Not sure what to do, if there is some easy fix or something. The cds were homemade so they have no value to me, I just want the thing to work since I have mp3 hook ups. Any suggestions would be great thanks!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a recurring theme for the indash disc changers...there are a couple of threads on this and i think someone posted 1-2 ways of how to get it out....i dont remember if they disconnect/reconnected the battery to get it out or if they took it out completely and did something to get it out...at least its just now doing it...mine did it 3yrs later and just so happened i was buying an aftermarket HU anyways...

search disc changer or something similar

geno001

Reaction score
Mine did this. I removed the head unit, not difficult at all, take the covers off the head unit and easily remove the CD changer, 4 screws I think, gently coax all the cd's out, there is a small portion of the gear that moves the cd's up and down and opens the front door in the changer that you can roll with your finger to get the cd's to come to the opening. You have to play with it a little. Reassemble and reinstall. Let it power up and go through its paces, then reload the cd's 1 by 1 and you may be just fine. I was. Take your time and be gentle its really pretty easy.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i reloaded all the time....and kept getting stuck...bye bye OEM..hello pioneer

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and it happened 3 yrs after owning the truck which i bought brand new in 2004

Wilson

Reaction score
I tried the remove the positive battery cable, but that trick did not work for me.

Crutchfield here I come.

Was going to install the Navigation unit, EXCEPT my Expedition is an early build 2003, and the
wiring harness is completely different between the early 2003 and the later build 2003. ; (