2004 Eddie Bauer Edition-- Transmission ID?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seth crosby

Reaction score
I've tried to scour forums for the last couple hours and have a lot of confusion:

...do I have the 4R70W or the 4R75W?

I find that some are saying that some of the 2004's had the earlier tranny while others got the 4R75W.

I ended up going to ETIS from Ford and getting the info from my VIN that my 2004 Expedition has the 4R75W, but there's some other minor details that seem out of place. I'm the second owner of the vehicle and the first owner was a dealership-only guy who would schedule road trips out planning for dealership stops--I seriously doubt he had any modification work done on the radio or other items that seem misaligned between ETIS and the vehicle I have.

Anyhow, I had the transmission rebuilt twice, 2 years ago after the park pole broke and tore up the orbital and more. I recently talked to the guy who rebuilt it and he ID'd the transmission as the 4R70W from his paperwork and work performed/parts lists... is it possible that it was rebuilt with the wrong parts? Are these trannys that different?

Also, I crawled under and found a tag showing info that I can't make heads or tails of... any input here or am I looking at the wrong thing? (see image upload)

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I just lost OD and this tranny is not healthy, but the engine is great. looking at a salvage yard tranny with half the mileage, but after $4K into rebuilding this one I am not inclined to do that again, at least with the local mechanic. That said I need to ID what I should have.

IMG_6936.JPG

OP
OP
S

seth crosby

Reaction score
wow that's interesting. this is a 5.4L 4WD... did someone put the wrong tranny in here?

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They 4.6 and 5.4 both use the 4R70W (some the 4R75W which has some small changes) so I wonder what the difference is? Only thing I can think is torque converter or bell housing and it can't be the bell housing if it's installed. I believe the 4R70W can be upgraded to the 75 by changing some of the internals.

Last edited: