2004 Expedition EB no heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angie2004Expy

Reaction score
I have an 04 Expy. I dont know if all this is related but I am going to give it all to you. My heat does not blow hot air. I can warm up the truck and set the temp at 90 degrees and it blows lukewarm air at best. I have the dual climate controls and the air temp is the same whether the dual function is off or on. The rear heat only blows cool air. There is no change in air temp if I change the source from vent to floor or defrost (on both front and rear) There is a ticking sound when the rear heat system is turned on (I assume a flap on one of the rear vents is not opening). Coolant levels are fine. Truck temp is mid-line. I sat in traffic and the temp gauge never more, so there are no signs of over heating. The cabin temp gets a little warmer when I am driving, I guess because the warm air from the engine is helping. The fan is blowing fine. Its an older truck so maybe a vacuum leak? I am leaning away form a thermostat since I am not overheating. Help me!! it cold outside! What should I check? I am slightly mechanically inclined, but not fluent in car talk, so please keep that in mind. Thank you

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long have you owned the expy??
The clicking noise you are hearing in the rear is most likely a blend door actuator. Common problem on the expy's

Rather than leaning away from the thermostat you need to lean towards it. Whan was the T/Stat last changed? What is the temp rating of the current T/Stat?

What is the actual engine temp??

Check you heater hoses at the firewall to see if both the inlet and outlet temps feel the same

OP
OP
A

Angie2004Expy

Reaction score
I have owned it for 2 years, bought it used. We haven't changed the thermostat since we have owned it. Sometimes the vent in the rear clicks and some times it doesn't. The temp gauge hold exactly in the middle between hot and cold. I will check the heater hoses. Stupid question..... if the thermostat was bad, wouldn't it over heat/ run hot at idle?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
T/Stats can fail both open or closed If they stay open the engine may not get to operating
temp if the fail to open then you will get overheating. Also T/stats come in different temp ranges The expy calls for a 195 degree T/stat.

You could take it to an auto parts store and see if they can put a scanner on it and get the coolant temp.

You may want to looking getting a OBDII adaptor and install Torque pro on your cell phone or laptop so you can get readouts and also read codes Cost should be under $25.00

Also a worn water pump could be a cause of your problems

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd check the heater core water valve first. See if it opens and closes. Had the same issue on a van of mine and the valve was stuck closed. Should be able to find it on the heater lines into the firewall. Haven't had to look for it on my expedition yet, but that is an easy check. If it is closed, zip tie it in the open position till you can figure out if it is a vacuum issue or a valve issue.