2004 expy wont start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Want3d

Reaction score
So what i have is a 04 expy and was driving fine. I came home and shut it off. Couple hours later it just cranks. I went to the internet to trouble shoot .has spark. No fuel pressure. Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump relay fuse box.no luck .continued to look.
I can hear the fuel pump for 2 second prime. Im lost please help. I need my truck back .

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of threads on bypassing the fuel pump relay as a test. Bedrck47 has a post somewhere on which wires to jump and has been posted recently. Use the search function to find it quickly.
Once the jumper is installed check the pressure again - dependingvon model the range is usually 35+ KOEO.

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
I already put new fuse box with new relays in. That isnt the issue. 391 dollars for fuse distribution box .came with all new fuses and relays.

That being said would there be a pressure module or something on the rail. Mine doesnt have the fpdm. (Back of truck under spare)

Thanks for the help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though you hear the fuel pump running that doesn't mean the fuel rail is being pressurized. Bypassing the relay allows you to monitor the fuel pressure over a longer period of time.
Monitor the pressure for 10-15 seconds, if it is still 0, drop the tank and inspect the lines. One probably has disconnected or has a hole.

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
Just got done with a pressure check on the fuel rail it is 40psi then drops after a few seconds. (That is one cycle of the key )
I dont see fuel dripping anywhere. I am unable to smell stuff so that route is gone. I have no idea still.
I have new plugs im gonna put on also it had a misfire on a load. Maybe it will help.
If the pcm is bad what would i check to find that out? Just guessing at this point .
Thanks again

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't guess, diagnose. Take one thing at a time, leave the plugs for later.

The 40psi tells you that the filters and lines are fine. The bleeding down is your problem. That can come from leaking injector(s) or check valve in the fuel pump. The fuel system is designed to maintain pressure for a long time.
Bypass the relay and see if the engine starts. If it does your problem is fuel related, if not you continue the diagnosis.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Listen to the teacher, he knows what he's talking about. Your losing pressure! This may be above your comfort level for diagnosis, no shame there. We've all been there! Depending on your skill level, you may have to have a shop diagnose this one. Let us know what you/they find. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
Ok. So i will try to start it with the. Ether or starting fluid if it starts it is most likly my fuel pump? I had the plugs and they needed to be changed. I had a miss. Changed them today. They looked dirty not horible. Had about 50k on them gapped the new ones at .054. Calling shop sometime this week .i really miss my truck.

OP
OP
Want3d

Want3d

Reaction score
Idk. Lol. Just want a rough idea of what it is before taking it there. Also why i changed the plugs so i dont get ***** on a tune up. Now they cant say well it needs plugs. I just dont trust mechanics around this area. And i dont live close to a city so i kind of have to cover my back side. Thanks for your help ill keep ya posted.