2004 Navigator Fuel Delivery Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tedallen

Reaction score
Hello,

I own both a 1997 Expedition and the subject vehicle. I have previously replaced the fuel pump in the Exception and am now having an issue with the Navigator. I have posted about this issue on the Lincoln Navigator forum and have had over 30 views, but no replies so I am hoping someone knowledgeable in this forum can assist.

I do not hear the pump when the key is first turned to the on position. I do hear clicks from at least one of the fuel pump relays (I replaced the user-serviceable one just in case it was at fault). I verified that the associated fuse is good as well. I am trying to determine how I can test the pump and the circuit from the fuse box to it without dropping the fuel tank, as I see no way to reach the connector on the pigtail to the pump without lowering the tank. According to the owner's manual there is a non-serviceable relay soldered to the fuse panel PCB. I have seen videos where a connector was unplugged above the fuse panel and the voltage was tested at this point when the key was turned on to make sure the relay was providing 12v. I 12v jumper was also run to the connector on one of the pins to supply 12v through the vehicle harness to the pump to see if it energized. I am trying to determine if this is applicable to my vehicle, and if so, which connector and which were within the connector would be the 12v supply from the relay to the pump? The manual I have covers a wide range of Expedition and Navigator vehicles and the wiring diagrams aren't matching up with what I am seeing. I have confirmed that the 2004 Navigator does not have the problematic fuel pump driver module mounted on top of the driver's side rear frame rail inside the fender well.

The video I saw for a 2004 and newer Expedition showed the 12v power as being on a Green/yellow wire coming from a connector at the top of the fuse panel. I think the fuse box housing had a blue highlight around the opening for this connector. However, the connector I have in that location has significantly more wires in it and I don't see a wire that is green with a yellow tracer.

I would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide regarding a wiring schematic and any troubleshooting tips. I also thought about trying to check for voltage at the fuel inertia switch which I thought might be the last item in the link to the pump, but I wasn't sure if it would just disrupt ground or if it would actually cut the 12v supply. I would hope it would interrupt the 12v supply.

Best Regards,

Ted

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Watch the attached video About the 5 min mark and the 6 minute mark he is pointing to a wire in the 4 pin connector Directly to the left of that connector is another connector that has a sold red wire in it see the attached pic

Install a jumper in that location between the two wires Start you Navigator Let me know if it runs

The wiring and circuit for your 04 Nav and the 04 Expy is basically the same

20170718_090851.jpg

FP Relay Jumper.jpg

OP
OP
T

tedallen

Reaction score
Thanks Bedrck. That is actually one of the videos I watched, however, I somehow missed that connector and was looking at the larger connector with the blue paint around the opening in the fuse panel to the right of that one above the white connector. I looked back at the pics I took of the panel and I see the small connector that you mention and I see the DG/Y wire in the lower left corner of it.

I will do the test later today and let you know the results. Thanks again.

Ted

OP
OP
T

tedallen

Reaction score
Hi Bedrck. I finally got a chance to look at this issue again yesterday. When I ran a 12v supply to the Dark Green/Yellow wire in the 4 pin connector you described, the vehicle started. I located a 2004 Lincoln Navigator in the local Pull-a-Part and took the fuse box out of it, tested all of the fuses, put my relays in it and replaced mine with it and all is well.

A few differences I noticed between my box and the replacement:

Mine Replacement
Box Part #: 4L7T-14A067-AD 4L7T-14A067-AE
Box Date: 07-18-03 01-28-04

Soldered Relay #: F8VF-BA 1363A23C F8VF-BA 15Z3A22A
Soldered Relay Mfr: Omron Omron

Also, fuse locations 33 and 34 in my fuse box contained different amperage fuses than the replacement. Since 34 is related to the fuel pump (according to my owner's manual), and the replacement unit is 6 months newer than mine and the soldered relays are all of a different part number than mine had, I'm wondering if the lower amperage fuses being used in the newer box were to help prevent the fuel pump relay from burning out like mine did? I don't know if there was ever a TSB issued for this problem or not. If so, maybe it recommended using a lower amperage fuse:

My Unit Replacement Unit
Fuse 33: 20 amp 10 amp
HEGO sensors, EGR vacuum regulator (EVR) solenoid, Intake Manifold
Tuning valve (IMTV) solenoid, Canister vent solenoid, Vapor Management
valve (VMV) solenoid, A/C compressor clutch relay coil

Fuse 34: 20 amp 15 amp
PCM, Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid, Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, Fuel
injectors, Fuel pump relay, Fuel pump shut-off switch, Fuel pump motor

Thanks again for you assistance.

Regards,

Ted

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ted
Thanks for the update Glad you got it fixed.

Also your findings are very interesting.
I will be sending you a PM later today addressing those findings.
Check your in box later.

Bob M

OP
OP
T

tedallen

Reaction score
Hi Bob M,

Not trying to rush you, but just letting you know I haven’t seen anything in my Inbox yet. Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Ted

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I thought it got sent apparently I didn't hit the send button hard enough
It has been sent now