2004 Sub and Amp install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem, thanks for all the help with this. My install kit came with a rubber grommet so if I do end up drilling a hole in one of the rubber plugs then I'll have a tight seal. Just a matter of finding one near the battery so I can run the power wire on the pass. side.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took another look at it today and couldn't find any way to run the power wire on the battery side. I could run the wire under the car and come up thru the plug in the jack area, other than that I would have to drill a hole or run thru the plug on drivers side.

Any other thoughts on this? Does everyone else drill thru the firewall to run the wire?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont run under the truck...wires will exposed and get cut...nicked and you'll have to replace...drill hole through pass side and keep on that side...dont zig-zag the wire u want the least amount of wire possible...drill hole through wall...place grommet...push wire

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as wiring the line output converter goes, since I'm using a mono amp for a sub only I need to keep all speaker outputs off the head unit intact, how would I tap into these wires?

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you HAVE to run under the truck, definitely shield the wire with some kind of wire loom and I would definitely wrap numerous times with electrical tape. Maybe even get some rubber hose and slit that open to put the wire in between and then tape that up.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as wiring the line output converter goes, since I'm using a mono amp for a sub only I need to keep all speaker outputs off the head unit intact, how would I tap into these wires?

i tapped into the rear sub speaker witht he converter...you will have to figure out which is +/- then splice or t-tap to that line for the converter...connect rca to converter then to amp...

i have pics of what mine looked like in this forum so i would recommend serching for converter install or something of that nature or simply going through the threads in electronics for what sounds similar to your install...

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it all done yesterday, I used 18-14g taps to tap into the outputs right at the head unit, my line output converter also had a remote out so I just ran that back to the amp. I ran my power wire from the battery down behind the wheel well then right in the corner between the body and the frame rail. I ran it up thru the rubber plug under the passenger front carpet. I have it all sealed up, used wire loom on the 12" thats exposed under the truck, and zip tied it up tight with the frame rail.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They sound real good, I thought my stock speakers would sound bad next to the subs but it sounds great. I have the subs facing the back of the truck, is this better or should it face forward? Also have a pop when radio turns off or on will check ground to see if that is the cause.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the way the subs face is all up to u and the type of music...whichever sounds best to ur ears...ppl tend to have the pointed back so the sound will reflect off the back...I had a JL 15" once that sounded best up...2 kickers that sounded best firing down...my 18" now sounds best back with port up...my 2-18s that im going to put in next year will be up port back