2004 Transmission Behaving Badly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VeeDubGuy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2004 Expedition XLT 4x4 with the 5.4L Triton. Dealer said it's being sold as is, but if something major like the trans were to immediately go bad they wouldn't hang me out to dry. Well third time driving it the trans would just go into neutral instead of third. The dealer is no longer working with me and I have a wonderful lawn ornament. I have done extensive research on the issue and recently dropped the pan and the valve body to find a disintegrated 2-3 piston and broken OD retainer ring. Replaced all the parts with OEM from the local Ford dealer, bolted it back together, refilled it with new fluid, but it is still doing the same exact thing. At this point I am considering 3 options and in need of some opinions from others who have had a similar experience.

1. Rebuild the valve body with the Sonnax sure cure kit and replace all the original solenoids etc
2. Buy a remanufactured one off of ebay and replace it myself
3. Take it to a trans shop and just have them rebuild and upgrade the trans in it now.

It's a 4R75W with 165K on it. Not looking to drop 1500-2500 on it I can patch it back together myself. Also don't want to spend another weekend under it wrenching only to have it not cure the problem or have the trans grenade itself 3 months from now. Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum

Buying it as is means just that And if the dealer said "if something major like the trans were to immediately go bad they wouldn't hang me out to dry."

Sounds like you got hung UNLESS you had the dealer put it in writing.

OP
OP
V

VeeDubGuy

Reaction score
Thanks, I fully understand what the terminology means after working in the industry for many years. Yes I should have gotten it in writing, but I bought it at a small town dealer and figured they wouldn't risk the negative reputation. I should have certainly known better. Now that we have finished pointing out the obvious does anyone have any constructive comments, advice or opinions on what direction I should take with it next based on their experience with similar issues?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figured that you wouldn't like my post as I really didn't offer any advice.

You have listed your options and also stated that you "Also don't want to spend another weekend under it wrenching only to have it not cure the problem or have the trans grenade itself 3 months from now"

So I would suggest that you take option #3 Explain what all you have done and let them give you some sound advice. Also if they were to make any repairs what type of guarantee
would they be willing to offer. May cost you more but would save you being under the expy again and also the work would be by people that most likely know what they are doing.