2005 Expy Air Suspension INOP during Freezing Temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXWarthog

Reaction score
I have a 2005 4x4 Expy that I purchased used this summer. I currently have aprox. 185K miles on it. This is the first winter I've owned it. Being in Houston, we don't get much freezing weather. However, whenever we would get freezing weather, the air suspension would not go to ride height despite the compressor running.

After reviewing the videos found on this page, I think I found the solution. I plan on first replacing the air dryer.

Last night, I had another issue pop up. The compressor would not turn on. I hooked it up to my OBDII scanner in an attempt to see if the enhanced ABS scan would pull anything. I couldn't get anything as I think I need a more advanced scan tool. I decided to turn the vehicle off, and on again, then it worked and it raised up to standard height. Also, having previously watched the video has helped as I believe this was one of the classic symptoms for a compressor solenoid failure. I'll replace the solenoid and the connector with the associated pigtail.

For those watching, here's the link I found to be helpful: http://www.expeditionforum.com/thre...avigator-air-ride-suspension-down-tips.24771/

I am also considering the age of the vehicle and that air strut replacements or a conversion are in my future. Being the ride is so great with the current setup, and that I don't want to deal with a continual computer suspension warning, I'll most likely keep the air system.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate reading about people throwing away the air system. "Prone to problems" and "don't want to deal with it" but the ride is just sooooooooo nice. I could have one air spring go out a year and I'd still keep it because they're easier to replace than coils, and dat ride quality.