2006 5.4 3v White / Blue smoke on startup after lots of repair, but only 100k miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fidder

Reaction score
Hey all, I am hoping anyone can help me out here. I think I know what is going on but could use confirmation.

About a month ago I had a spark plug issue in cylinder 8. the plug blew out due to some work another mechanic did before. I then had a new mechanic come try and fix the issue, low and behold he pushed parts of the plug into the cylinder which led to removing the head to get the parts out. Before I knew upon replacing the rest of the plugs he had to pull the other head also.

After repairing the issue and putting the heads back on the truck smoke like crazy and idled rather rough, it had appeared that it was burning oil and quantifier very quickly. and it appeared that the antifreeze was getting into the cylinders. In the space of driving no more than 75 miles in 4 days or less I burned through a quart of oil and the antifreeze in the overfill container almost emptied. We also noticed under the oil cap that there was that white pudding style of goo.

He figured it had to have been a head gasket failure so He took it apart again and replaced the head gasket for a second time with a fell-pro head gasket instead of a cheap amazon one. He also saw a bunch of carbon on the valves of the number 8 cylinder, so he replaced the valve guide seals, inspected and lapped the valves in the cylinder alone. to my knowledge he did not test any of the rest of the valve's because with only 100k miles he figures there is no way there are issues with them.

So now it back together again and there is still major white smoke pouring out in the same fashion. I am not sure if it is still burning up antifreeze becasue that level has gone down just a little bit but seems to be holding steady. I have however gone through 2and half warts of oil in 6 days 125 miles. It does however run much better now, and it has not thrown any codes in the 6 days.

I don't know what to do now and could use some advice.

I am pretty mechanically inclined and don't have much faith in my mechanics anymore, so I am thinking about pulling the heads another time and taking them down to a machine shop to be rebuilt completely.

the mechanic keeps telling me that with only 100k miles the valves should not be any issue.

Would love to know your thoughts and advice you have. I am thinking of tearing it apart this weekend, but would love for someone to tell me I am crazy so I don't have to.

Thanks all,

Fidder

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you replace both head gaskets after removing them? With a cheap amazon gasket? Your post read like you only did one… It's easy for a machine shop to test the runout on the heads and make sure they aren't warped, I would do that before I have them machined, it's doubtful they are damaged.

OP
OP
F

Fidder

Reaction score
Yeah both head gaskets were replaced, sorry to not make that clear. I think I am about to head to auto zone to rent their block tester to see if I can tell if combustion gasses are getting into the coolant system.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like you've got 2 issues. 1, the burning of oil is valve guide seals. 2, you somehow do have head gaskets leaking. Unfortunately it's teardown time, I would do a compression/leak down test to verify rings, or valve guide seals. Another issue would be he cracked the plastic intake manifold, or screwed up their gaskets. Your opening tag line says blue smoke on startup, that's a sign of oil making its way past the valve guide seals into combustion chamber. The other possible scenario is worn valve guides, causing same thing oil trying to fire with gasoline, that's where blue smoke comes in. Bad rings would smoke all the time not just startup. Your idea of using fluid to check for combustion in coolant system is a good idea. Keep in touch!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Fidder

Reaction score
It sounds like you've got 2 issues. 1, the burning of oil is valve guide seals. 2, you somehow do have head gaskets leaking. Unfortunately it's teardown time, I would do a compression/leak down test to verify rings, or valve guide seals. Another issue would be he cracked the plastic intake manifold, or screwed up their gaskets. Your opening tag line says blue smoke on startup, that's a sign of oil making its way past the valve guide seals into combustion chamber. The other possible scenario is worn valve guides, causing same thing oil trying to fire with gasoline, that's where blue smoke comes in. Bad rings would smoke all the time not just startup. Your idea of using fluid to check for combustion in coolant system is a good idea. Keep in touch!

Thanks Moose, I did do the block leakage test and did not find any sign of combustion gases in the coolant. I think I am set to start the tear down tomorrow once I can get it to a heated Garage tomorrow. I am planning on doing a full compression test and leak-down test before I get started to make sure before I commit.

and yes, it smokes when you first start it but once it clears out which takes probably 1/8th of a mile or less it no longer smokes. It will however shoot a small bluish white cloud out upon acceleration after idling at a stop light for a short length of time but it goes away almost immediately.

Your comment about the manifold is interesting because the second time he had it apart, he did kept telling me that there was oil in the manifold but he had no idea how it was getting in there. I don't know what to you with that as of yet.

Thanks for your help.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blue gray smoke is an indication of failed piston rings, or valve guide seals. Blue white smoke is coolant related, head gaskets, cracked block, etc. Coolant is making its way into combustion chamber, and eventually crankcase I feel the smokes going to get worse as time goes on. As far as oil in intake, replace pcv valve, and hose, also the ccv canister control valve. Basically your not getting ventilation for your motor, and oil backs up into intake manifold.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Find a new mechanic. Heads do not come off, for a plug issue repairs. They make special tools for the job and they work.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with RJ, your guy is a bonehead! If he can't do a thread repair properly, god knows he has no business wrenching on your Suv! He could of put the gaskets on not lining up everything, or torque it improper. You need to find a technician, not a parts changer. These vehicles aren't old flat head motors, that a monkey could repair. The modular motors are very precise, and needs a quality person digging into it.

Reaction score
I had a cracked Block in the past. When the engine been cold - the oil was dripping into the exhaust manifold.

There was no oil in the cylinder and also at the plugs...

Good luck

OP
OP
F

Fidder

Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for the posts. I agree that I made a huge mistake with using this mechanic.

I got into it tonight and in the process of pulling the spark plugs so I could do a compression I pulled an oil soaked plug out the 8th cylinder. This is the one that he was working on. I am thinking now that the head might be cracked at the well or the head gasket could be bad right there letting the oil in on the plug .

Oh what fun. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk