2006 Expedition Limited Easy Exit Drivers Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, awhile back I bought the above referenced vehicle. It is sound mechanically but has two "convenience" issues that I would like to resolve. I will post seperate posts for each issue. Here is the second:

The truck is equipped with the Easy Exit Drivers Seat. When I scroll to the setting on the instrument panel, it at first indicates that the option is set to on but if you wait a second another item comes up that says Easy Exit Seat Data Error or something similar. When I turn the truck off and take the key out of the ignition the seat does not move back to the Easy Exit position. All other power functions on the seat work and the memory functions work as they should.

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to successfully resolve it? If so what did you have to do. I understand that I could set one of the memory buttons to where I want the seat when I am driving and set the other so that it slides the seat back but I would like the Easy Exit Seat function to work as it is supposed to.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easy Exit/Easy Entry

• The easy exit function moves the seat backwards about 2 inches when the ignition key is removed from the ignition switch. The DSM receives a key out command over the MS-CAN communication network and powers the driver seat rearward. This function will not operate if the seat is less than the travel distance to the end of the track or the function has been deactivated. The DSM will also cancel this operation if a valid input command is received, such as the seat control switch or memory recall request.
  • The DSM will record the current seat position before powering the seat for an easy exit function. This recorded position will be used to return the seat to this position on the easy entry operation. During easy entry operation, the seat is returned to the position previous to the easy exit operation. Easy entry operation will be cancelled if a valid input command is received by the DSM.
  • The easy exit/easy entry feature can be activated or deactivated using a diagnostic tool or via the message center. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 or the owner's literature.

• Read Page 131 in the owners manual

OP
OP
R

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got to tinkering around with this and discovered that a plug under the seat was loose in the socket. There is a latch that swings up and over the top of the plugs to secure them to the socket. This latch apparently had been unlocked at some point prior to my owning the truck and had not been put back in place. No more error message and the easy exit seat functions as it should.

Funny how sometimes it's something little like this but we automatically go looking for bigger problems. Human nature I suppose.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got to tinkering around with this and discovered that a plug under the seat was loose in the socket. There is a latch that swings up and over the top of the plugs to secure them to the socket. This latch apparently had been unlocked at some point prior to my owning the truck and had not been put back in place. No more error message and the easy exit seat functions as it should.

Funny how sometimes it's something little like this but we automatically go looking for bigger problems. Human nature I suppose.
Thanks for reporting back, you may help the next guy. You're knocking these issues out left and right RW! All fixed up yet?

OP
OP
R

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. You guys here have been a big help with troubleshooting issues. Getting close. Got a couple of other odds and ends to take care of to make me completely happy again.

1: Replace adjustable pedal gear with brass gear

2: Replace header panel behind headlights (the tabs for the vertical adjustment screws were both broke off when I bought the truck. Probably someone being too rough with headlight housings when changing the bulbs. (part just arrived but waiting on parts for my LED headlights to come in.I also have brand new headlight housings that are going in as well.) I only wanna tear it down and put it back together once. I may do a write up on this. It's a fairly straightforward procedue if you take your time and know what you are doing. Probably just pics and instructions. Don't have a tripod to shoot video with the nice camera.

3: Replace cruise control disconnect switch

4: New radio. (I have the stock 6 disc changer but it keeps saying that my discs are bad.) Probably going to upgrade to touchscreen with bluetooth so I can use Spotify on my phone like I can in my Nissan Altima.

Once all of that is done I should be happy. I am using it as a tool hauler for work anyway so I'm not too particular. May get a $300 paint job slapped on by Maco at some point. The paint has some minor issues. That can wait a little bit though. No rust (YET).