2007 Aftermarket Backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pennyanguy

Reaction score
OK, so I have resigned myself that my "New to me" 2007 LTD EL can not easily integrate a backup camera into the nav system... Yes...I could change the head unit to something more current but I am squeamish about doing that...I dislike removing trim panels , something always breaks! I cant even figure out how to get anything off...is there a video that shows what comes off first?

So the next best option is to install a separate screen...not too large, maybe 5-6"..9" max... does anyone have any great ideas for location? I was thinking something maybe with a pivot-able mount so I could flip it down when not in use...

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its anything like my 08 EB I was going to do this, there is a guy on Amazon that mounted it in his sunglasses holder in the overhead console that looked pretty slick. But if you are squeamish about taking any panels off I would take it to someone to do, any kind of installation except for a temp one with a wireless camera is going to involve removing panels.

I ended up getting an Android head unit, its super slick, the panel that holds the radio pops right off in seconds. Plenty of U tube videos on it or we can help you along

here is what mine looks like

radio1.jpg

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
.I dislike removing trim panels , something always breaks! I cant even figure out how to get anything off...is there a video that shows what comes off first?

Ford trim is pretty much unbreakable. I've removed every single panel in my truck at least 1-2 times without issue...

And its pretty easy to source from junkyards anyway.

Get a set of vinyl prybars = trim pullers

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its anything like my 08 EB I was going to do this, there is a guy on Amazon that mounted it in his sunglasses holder in the overhead console that looked pretty slick. But if you are squeamish about taking any panels off I would take it to someone to do, any kind of installation except for a temp one with a wireless camera is going to involve removing panels.

I ended up getting an Android head unit, its super slick, the panel that holds the radio pops right off in seconds. Plenty of U tube videos on it or we can help you along

View attachment 20470

How much that radio cost you?

OP
OP
P

pennyanguy

Reaction score
That is nice Brian, you are making me rethink the aftermarket head... do all the accessories still work (dvd player, nav system, wheel controls...?)... that would give Bluetooth as well...another wanted item

I recently put a jenson touch screen in my 06 Subaru...I'm not super impressed with it...screen is difficult to work with a finger (better with a stylus but that's a pain while you are driving...and its a manual shift so double the pain) and when its below 30 degrees out it barely accepts any commands... plus the reception sucks...im trying different antennas now but little effect... with this bad experience I hate to screw up the expo...its soooo nice now in stock form

I might take a stab at removing the panel...I have a set of those plastic pry bars I just don't know where to pry from

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well its not for everyone.

The steering wheel controls work, you can program them for any function. Your factory nav system wont work since the original head unit will be gone. But it has a gps and runs on Android so you can go to the Google Play store and download any nav app you want, just like on your phone. I have Google Maps and Waze.

One thing I did not hook up was the rear radio controls. Its only me, my wife and our 3 dogs so I have never even turned on the rear radio. There are adapters you can buy to get that to work but I have not even thought about it, but it might be important to you.

I do not know how the touch screen will work when its cold out since I just got it, that's a good point, hopefully it wont be a problem, from all the reviews on it no one has mentioned it.

Also I am having some issues with AM radio reception, but I can stream the station I listen to on my way to work in the morning. Hopefully I can figure that out. The FM has been fine. I usually use Iheart or Pandora for music.

Also cool is Torque Pro, its a OBD2 app that works with the $15 Bluetooth adapter I bought with the unit, so I can monitor all my vehicle information available on OBD2. Its nice to monitor my trans temp etc when I am towing.

If you want to remove the panel around the radio the corners to have a look, pry at the upper corners. Always try to pry gently at the corners of any panel you want to remove, its the strongest place and once you get it moving you can see how its attached and where the clips are. It comes off really easy pulling from the top corners first

Here is a pic of the backup camera in action I took this morning and also the home screen of the Torque Pro app

IMG_20170602_055932007.jpg IMG_20170524_174309322.jpg

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score

View attachment 20470
Your dash kit is assembled wrong that's why the top of your radio is set back. I made the same mistake when I originally did mine. Maybe you like it like that but it drove me nuts

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually the screws that came with the kit were too short to add the spacers at the top corners. I am putting in a 2 port usb socket where the aux port is now in the lower dash so I figured I would wait until I get it to fix it

should be in the mailbox today so I will change it out this weekend