2007 EL rear strut questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomc3

Reaction score
new to the forum - 2007 EL that needs all 4 struts replaced - bought the Monroe quickstruts and have been researching how to remove/replace the rear struts and the "official" way is to remove the lower arm to frame bolt and also use a special tool to pop the lower ball joint. The *other* way (based on a set of instructions from a manufacturer of a lift kit) is to ONLY undo the bolt that attaches the lower control arm to the frame (that bolt has to be replaced along with the lower bolt/nut on the strut anyways, so buying that bolt and the flag nut for both sides).

The alternate way seems to be way easier, no special tool to pop the lower ball joint required, one less nut (on ball joint) to replace, etc.....am I missing something important, or can anyone provide real-world experience on removal/replacement of rear struts?

Thanks for your help and insights!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site...please also go to new member check-in and tell us about urself and expedition

checkout youtube as there are a lot of how to vids on there for our trucks

mbed

Reaction score
new to the forum - 2007 EL that needs all 4 struts replaced - bought the Monroe quickstruts and have been researching how to remove/replace the rear struts and the "official" way is…

Hi,
I have an 08 EL and need to replace the rear struts. I was wondering if you installed the monroes and how it behaves. I did a bunch of research and most mfg say the stock ready strut isn't designed for the extra weight and length of the EL.

Please let me know how you fared…thanks!