2007 Expedition Intermittingly violent shaking while idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertDawg

Reaction score
My 2007 Expedition Limited has been a workhorse with 235,000 miles on it. I've only had to change the out the radiator and starter and Cat Converter in 10 years and she's run strong.

Lately, I have an issue with the vehicle shaking really bad when sitting at an intersection or just at a stand-still intermittingly. It seems to be more when it's warmed up than when it is cold. If I turn it off and restart it - it will go away until another time when it decides and this isn't the next time I come to a light or stop and idle. It also goes away once I start driving and get up to 3mph.

Any thoughts, not sure if it's the transmission, or tuning, maybe she needs a tune up but I was quoted like $450 for a tune-up with new plugs and labor. ouch! I was also told that if it snaps a spark plug the engine is toast?

Note: Discount tire gave me two new tires which I have on the front now and they are a size bigger than the front. They told me not to use 4 Wheel Drive or AWD until I have 4 tires of matching size. I drive in 2-Wheel Drive.

Thanks for your hep.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need an all around tune up. And if the plugs break the engine is not shot it is just a royal PITA to get them out. I'd spend money on a tune up so you know your good. Good luck

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would agree with JE but I would not go to the place that told you the engine would be toast

what maintenance level is the vehicle at now? Is it time?

OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

Reaction score
Yes, it was my Ford Dealer, I should be able to go somewhere else and knock 25% off of that price. I called and their pricing is obviously rediculous. Their price for the plugs are $19.16 each. Coils are $83.64 each. I can get both the plugs and coils on Amazon for $160.99 and then just find someone to do the labor. Ford dealer for the same is about $900 - CRAZY! SMD

Wondering if I should do the boots while Im at it?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ield-keywords=2007+Ford+Expediton+Spark+Plugs

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was my Ford Dealer, I should be able to go somewhere else and knock 25% off of that price. I called and their pricing is obviously rediculous. Their price for the plugs are $19.16 each. Coils are $83.64 each. I can get both the plugs and coils on Amazon for $160.99 and then just find someone to do the labor. Ford dealer for the same is about $900 - CRAZY! SMD

Wondering if I should do the boots while Im at it?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=2007+Ford+Expediton+Spark+Plugs
My best friend has his own shop. He always says to change the boots with the COPs to eliminate high resistance due to galling or even minor corrosion in the boot. He tells me that will take out a COP and that it just saves a whole lot of problems down the road.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well Gixer beat me to it but your symptoms seems awfully close to how mine use to be, replacing the VCT's fixed it for me.

Don't cheap out on those, buy the motorcraft ones

OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

Reaction score
This is an awesome video. Probably nailed it on the head. Sounds like I may need two VTC solenoids at about $80 each and to pre-clean and to change the oil out with some quality Pennzoil with detergent. However, near the video, he does say if there is knocking sound and what not it could be a phaser although he's never experienced this issue with a Ford unit. What is a phaser? Sounds like StarWars. Wish this guy was in Phoenix, I'd take it to him take care of it.

Thank you for the video. I have subscribed.