2007 Expedition makes drone noise at about 60-68mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertDawg

Reaction score
Any ideas on why my Expediton makes a humming sound at between the speed of about 60 and 68mph.

Seems to do this more when it is warm than when it is cold. And sometimes once I start doing it if I am going up an incline or down an incline it goes away for a minute. It's annoying. Not sure if it's a drive line issue or not.

She's got 235,000 miles on it. Expedition Limited with 2WD/4WD/AWD

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a warn u-joint to me. Surprised they lasted 235,000 miles. Give the drive shaft a twist wiggle and if there is any play in the u-joint, that may be your humming sound issue.

OP
OP
DesertDawg

DesertDawg

Reaction score
Hmm.. Note, I'm not mechanically inclined but kind of makes sense as lately it seems like I feel a little gap or something when taking off. I don't know how to explain what I am talking about other than the same kind of feeling when riding my bmx bike as a kid and the gooseneck nut was loose and you could tell or feel there was play in it until you tightened the nut. So, if it's the U-Joint that is something easily fixed and not to expensive? Im posting a lot here lately about my Expedition as she needs some TLC in other areas outside of the regular maintenance I've done. Hoping to have it another 10 years and get another 250,000 miles out of it.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Universal joints are an easy fix but should be done by experienced mechanic. They will have to take off the drive line and uses special tools for the job. But it is a common thing and there are many experienced people out there who can do it. Some U-joints have had zerks in them to routinely grease which helps out with the longevity.

Crawl under there and see if there is any free play in your drive line. Or if you haven't had these serviced in a while, probably time to have them replaced if you are keeping the vehicle for longer.