2007 Expedition, Review and what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHolden

Reaction score
I am new to this Forum, and was hoping to get some help from you guys. I have a 2004 Expy. However I a going to look at a 2007 later in the week. its priced low at $3k with 216k miles.

Seems like a good deal to me, just the usual missing paint off the tailgate.

Can you guys tell me what sort of thing goes wrong with the 07's? is it the same Triton that's in my 2004?

Thanks

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes and no. It doesn't have 2-piece spark plugs. I don't think it has the kinda updated timing/phaser system though.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Yes and no. It doesn't have 2-piece spark plugs. I don't think it has the kinda updated timing/phaser system though.
07 does have the 2 piece spark plugs and that didnt stop till mid 2008.

I would check the rocker panels for rust, request a plug change if its at a dealer if not talk them down if they haven't been done recently, give it a good listen at startup and idle for timing chain/phaser noise. If you ever plan to lift it make sure it doesn't have rear load leveling (air bags) because then it becomes a pain

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are good trucks, but my 07 is always on an IV of sorts and getting an infusion of cash from my wallet to keep it rolling. Just like any older vehicle it’s parts or payment as they say. Still way cheaper than a payment on a new one. Grand a year or grand a month lol. But gixer has the right idea, if your budget is lower you may have to do some repairs yourself. As long as you don’t hear a heavy diesel like tick or a clatter on startup your good to go! Buy and use Motorcraft filters and change your oil religiously on the 3 valve Triton, great motors but be sure to take care.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for little shit like broken buttons, malfunctioning adjustments or controls, etc... and bargain down for each.

As to major stuff, at $3k the two main questions assuming the motor's good are:

1) is the suspension shot (air) or on its last legs (coilovers; joints and bushes for both)

2) are the wheels straight and tires with plenty of life?

Because if major suspension work, tires, and wheels are needed, that can quickly add up to another $3k unless you're a DIYer (suspension) and a bargain hunter (wheels and tires)... and even then, you could easily spend a grand or more

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses, I am going to check it out tomorrow.

chart75

Reaction score
I would echo the spark plug change since they can be tough to remove.

The radiators can leak at the front right.

The top heater hose on the passenger side can crack and leak antifreeze into the plug holes causing the coils to rust and require replacement.

I would recommend a PPI to check the suspension as mentioned above.

I know it's winter but it doesn't hurt to check out the AC.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True, those top heater hoses for the rear heater core over the block really really like to weep or leak slowly, check for that or evidence of dripping onto the head below.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Nickle and Dime time. That age and mileage, will keep you busy, frustrated or your mechanic happy. The 4.6l, is the better of the engines.