2007 Ford Expedition EL will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan

Reaction score
Took the Exp out this morning, ran for probably an hour non stop, come home, and when I went to leave again it would not start. It tried to crank a few times slowly but now when I turn the key nothing happens. Lights work and do not dim when I turn the key. Turning the key only causes a single click near the passenger foot area. Out of the 10 times I have tried to start it did slowly start to crank once but that has been it. Battery has 12.8 V and no drop in voltage when I try to start it.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a familiar problem with 2007's. Once you have the diagrams from bedrck47 I would start with the voltage to the starter or better yet a voltage drop test on the positive cable from the positive battery post to the starter positive lug. Reading must be taken when trying to start. Max reading is .5v dc.
There is a thread on here with the same problem I worked on that was never solved. The owner opted to add a bypass starter circuit for when it acted up since he lived out of town from where I live.
I think there are 47 places in the starter circuit where if one of them fails it will not start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nathan

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far. I will be back working on it shortly.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • The engine does not crank and the relay does click (all vehicles)
  • Battery
  • Battery junction box (BJB) fuse 40 (30A)
  • BJB
  • Starter motor/solenoid
  • Circuit
  • The engine does not crank and the relay does not click (early build vehicles)
  • PCM
  • Smart junction box (SJB)
  • BJB
  • Battery
  • Starter relay
  • Ignition switch
  • Circuit
  • The engine does not crank and the relay does not click (late build vehicles)
  • PCM
  • Smart junction box (SJB)
  • BJB
  • Battery
  • Starter relay
  • One-touch integrated start (OTIS) diode
  • Ignition switch
  • Circuit

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to remove the starter relay in the Batter Junction Box. Then place your volt meter in the slots for pins 85 and 86.
Turn the key to the start position and see if you get 12 volts

Post the results

OP
OP
N

Nathan

Reaction score
I will note as well that late last night when I would tap on the starter with a broom handle and try to start again it would start to crank a time or two but never enough to get started.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The actual test from the manual is

Measure the voltage between starter motor relay pin 85, circuit CDC38 (WH/VT) and ground while holding the key in the START position.

Make sure you use a good ground connection ie. neg battery terminal