2007 rocker panels gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moisture collects in the bottoms and eats away at them. The Ford design promotes easy settlement of dirt and moisture. You can "slow it down" by spraying something in there but that's about it. I sprayed inside mine with fluid film. It can't really be painted as there is an inner and outer rocker sandwiched together. These have issues with the outer rockers which rot from the inside out, they are tin foil thin. Mine look fine until you crouch underneath. The inner rocker is a way thicker steel on the expedition. I did notice the GM units don't have the thick inner rockers like ours do.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford is pushing Aluminum bodies. I don't see that being an improvement, corrosion wise. They had paint bubbling on tailgates. The rockers see much more abuse. I had mine sprayed with fluid. It was washed off wheel wells, in about a month. Toyota factory coat the undercarriage, with a thick, black coating. Sad, that a $60K Ford truck, does not have it applied. People wonder why there is no loyalty, to American Car makers.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford does fine with their corrosion resistance as far as the undercarriage is concerned. They E-Coat the frame and cross members which is far better than Toyota and GM wax coating because the wax doesn't actually bond with the steel like the electrocoat does. For years recently Toyota had frames rotting out like crazy in new trucks because of subpar protection. I don't think anyone sprays coating on their rockers they are just painted... I just know you look under my truck the frame is still covered in black E-coat, you look at an 07 Tahoe frame and it is rust orange with no wax left over it.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford does fine with their corrosion resistance as far as the undercarriage is concerned. They E-Coat the frame and cross members which is far better than Toyota and GM wax coating because the wax doesn't actually bond with the steel like the electrocoat does. For years recently Toyota had frames rotting out like crazy in new trucks because of subpar protection. I don't think anyone sprays coating on their rockers they are just painted... I just know you look under my truck the frame is still covered in black E-coat, you look at an 07 Tahoe frame and it is rust orange with no wax left over it.
Ford does not do fine. The want to sell cars. People will not buy new ones, if the old ones last forever. Auto prices have gone insanely high. A few hundred dollars for rocker protection or rear wheel well liners, stainless steel lines and a bed liner spray(for undercarriage), would be nice. I saw the bottom of a 2014 Rav 4, it was coated and looked like new.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford does not do fine. The want to sell cars. People will not buy new ones, if the old ones last forever. Auto prices have gone insanely high. A few hundred dollars for rocker protection or rear wheel well liners, stainless steel lines and a bed liner spray(for undercarriage), would be nice. I saw the bottom of a 2014 Rav 4, it was coated and looked like new.

You can't find a Toyota Tundra or Tacoma or sequoia with a frame that's not rotting apart if its any older than 5 years old. My frame looks brand new. Plenty of science behind E-coat you can look up its far superior to that wax that melts away and washes off after the truck is a year old.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice chunk broke open today, as soon as warm weather hits these b**ches are getting ripped out and replaced along with new running board mounts. Wild how bad they are getting with every passing week.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E5FF4512-7AD7-4E31-89D0-420A09BEE2CA.jpeg

C0DD4C61-FBD8-4F7C-B313-D696D022918A.jpeg

Oily substance is fluid film.... new bubbles and splits every day on them......... my aunts 08 was Swiss cheese last I saw it.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really wish I knew someone with a 2nd gen so I could take measurements to see if those panels would work, they look exact by eye, the trucks are only 0.6 inches difference in overall length....

OP
OP
N

ninjafied

Reaction score
wow yours look good by comparison, mine are completely gone i removed my running boards last year to stop the dirt and snow from sitting on them. and unfortunately i have the extended max version so its very unlikely the gen 2 parts will fit