2008 Brake pad/rotor questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathan faught

Reaction score
We've got a 08 expediton and I was looking at the brake pads today and they seem to have plenty of life for the eye test, but the if I run my fingers across the front rotors there are circular grooves all around them and the back brakes squeak just a tiny bit while stopping (not always just sometimes). I don't feel any pulsing while stopping and the vehicle stops very quickly sill.

I guess what do the grooves on the front rotors indicate and what about the random rear brake squeal? We just bought this vehicle so I'm not sure when the brakes/pads were last changed but like mentioned the pads look good still when I looking into the rim

Thanks!

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe some kind of material stuck between the pad and rotor...but I wouldnt think anything would last in there for too long. Could also just be some cheap pads.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Sounds like everything you said is normal, the rotors to have groves on them is typical of solid rotor(not slotted/drilled).

Pads squeal on occasions is also normal, usually brake dust trapped between the pad & rotor...

Also, the back of the rotor is what wears out faster because that's the pad that gets pressed on the rotor when breaking, the pad you see and mention is a stationary pad and just rides the surface of the rotor.

Ceramic & semi-metallic pads wear out slower but are noisy especially the break in time for ceramics, but they are cleaner too. Your rig has to have one of those 2 types installed.

Check the back of the rotor, if it's deeply grooved and scored then maybe it's time is ending soon.