2008 Expy Parking Brake adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amstel78

Reaction score
My parking brake works but you have to push the pedal pretty much down to the floor/firewall. The truck has 18,000 miles on it (I don't drive it too much). Is there a way to adjust the parking brake so that the pedal only has to travel half way?

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My parking brake works but you have to push the pedal pretty much down to the floor/firewall. The truck has 18,000 miles on it (I don't drive it too much). Is there a way to adjust the parking brake so that the pedal only has to travel half way?
I looked into this and found that there is an adjustment procedure that might help. You might not be able to move the pedal up but it can be adjusted some. I recommend taking it to a dealer to find out more and schedule an appointment if you’d like. I hope that helps!

Cory

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that was a complete waste of a response. My five year old neighbor kid could tell me to take it to Ford to fix it.

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, perhaps folks like FordCustSrvc shouldn't post useless things. Remember, we get a notification when someone responds to our post, and I'm sure amstl78 felt he wasted HIS time coming back to find a response like that. Suggestions such as 'Why don't you just take it to the dealer' is a waste of time for both the poster and the readers. It helps no one. What I find interesting is that added a post yourself, just to ask a rhetorical question. So, in order to answer your question, yes, I did just dig up a 6 year old thread. Because there are no more recent ones with the requested information. That's how research is done; you look until you find it. Perhaps FordCustSrvc will now have to come back and read it too, wasting HIS time. And maybe then understand why people don't like having to read useless posts. Did you enjoy this one?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Yes I did just read your response which in itself is also rather useless as it too varies of the subject,

but to answer the OP question as this subject has been discussed a few times since I joined 13 months ago, there is truly no point in adjusting the cable due to the fact that the E-brake on the expedition is rather useless as it doesn't have enough grip and stopping force to stop the truck from rolling when parked on an incline and it takes a minimal amount of force to make it roll while the brake is aplied. There for in reality there really is no use in adjusting the cable and that ford cheaped out on that aspect to reduce cost.

Now back to veering of subject, you sir seem like you need to get a little sense of humor going or get some sleep, you seem a little uptight!

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You apparently live in a state which doesn't have vehicle inspection. In NJ, they will fail a vehicle if the parking brake appears to be worn, and they use the depth of the pedal as a sign of that, whether the shoes are worn or not. THat's why we need information on how to fix this. In the past it was common for the cable to stretch over it's lifetime, yet cable failures were very rare.

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You all appear to be having them time of your lives talking in circles about absolutely nothing and everything about that which doesn't make sense at a time like this we are having sometime soon or even now...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there any way go upgrade park brake to actually, well, WORK better???

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went round and round with this last summer on my 05. I had new cables installed and new rotors, and brake shoes both parking brake shoes and new pads, after all of that work, I was still not satisfied with the way the brake held. I have a bad left knee and it took all of the force that I could muster to hold the truck on a 4% grade. My new truck is better and it doesn't have to go quite to the floor like the old one but it is still not a great brake.

Last edited: