2008 V-8 vs. 2016 V-6 on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't a discussion, you turned it into a debate and yes you can and have lost the debate

No I didn’t, and pretty sure Loki turned it into a debate because he got butt hurt that the OP doesn’t like the V6. Apparently like the majority of the consumer market in these SUVs.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the memories guys! I know we've had this argument about 20 times before but it still makes me smile. I'm happy with my EcoBoost. I just turned 8,000 miles today. With the new job I'm putting on 200 miles a week just back and forth to work. This is the beginning of the 2nd week.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to call me names because I prefer one motor over another?

You've got to be kidding.

I wish you guys who are lucky enough to own a new truck with an Ecoboost a long, long happy and troublefree relationship with your motor. It's a well proven engine and it's pretty darn cool. One day I'll probably own one too when they stop building the V-8's.

Geez -- lighten up guys. I'm really sorry for offending that tough guy who wants to beat me up because I prefer eight spark plugs to six.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to call me names because I prefer one motor over another?

You've got to be kidding.

I wish you guys who are lucky enough to own a new truck with an Ecoboost a long, long happy and troublefree relationship with your motor. It's a well proven engine. One day I'll probably own one too when they stop building the V-8's.

Geez -- lighten up guys. I'm really sorry for offending that tough guy who wants to beat me up because I prefer eight spark plugs to six.

They won’t stop building the V8, in fact the V8 will one day probably be the only gasoline engine available (pony cars). Everything else will be electric and the V6 will be long dead with the others. It’s to each their own which is the conclusion we come to every single time. I’m happy with my 5.4L 164,000 miles currently going strong.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Case in point. Another non owner dogging a newer Expedition. *shaking head. This forum contains about 5% helpful info and the balance is a bit of a waste of server hard drive space in my opinion.

In other news, Motor Trend tested 5 of the full size suvs out there and the Expedition (4th gen) came in first place. I’m a former exclusive Toyota owner who has put 300,000 miles on my last three Toyota’s so I’m sad to say the Sequoia came in dead last. Funny how guys who know a thing or two about vehicles and have driven everything from Rolls Royce’s to G Wagons and everything in between find an Ecoboost Expedition with tons of bells and whistles, a superior truck to the rest of them out there. Once again, this is my very first foray into Fords, so I’m pretty unbiased. But the ecoboost hating is just silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Did these hammerheads even read my post? Where did I say I hated the Ecoboost? I said it was a cool motor. I said it's quicker. I said it gets better gas mileage.

But it's a six. It vibrates more than an eight. It makes more noise.

That equates with hate?

Duh? Then a guy quotes Motor Trend as a reputable source? A publication that won't review a car unless the manufacturer buys advertising and pays for "editorial consideration"? This thread is bizarre. Why didn't anyone warn me?

I'm sorry dude! I take it all back. Maybe the one I drove was running on five cylinders with a bad carburetor. It sure felt like it. -- just kidding !!!!

Why can't we all just get along?

Wow.

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17 XLT is equally as smooth as my 2010 5.4 platinum max tow F150, but quieter under ALL load conditions, has more power, gets better mileage and has better air conditioning (including faster heating and cooling seats). Only thing it lacks beside a pickup bed, is decent size door pockets (much smaller bordering on useless on the expedition), and the F150 seats were deeper and more comfortable. If you had a bad experience with a rental, that's all it was, a bad experience, it happens with complex mechanical things. I've yet to come across an owner of the ecoboost expedition who wishes it was the 5.4 instead, which could also be the stupid high costs of these things, no one will admit to making a 50k dollar mistake.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Case in point. Another non owner dogging a newer Expedition. *shaking head. This forum contains about 5% helpful info and the balance is a bit of a waste of server hard drive space in my opinion.

In other news, Motor Trend tested 5 of the full size suvs out there and the Expedition (4th gen) came in first place. I’m a former exclusive Toyota owner who has put 300,000 miles on my last three Toyota’s so I’m sad to say the Sequoia came in dead last. Funny how guys who know a thing or two about vehicles and have driven everything from Rolls Royce’s to G Wagons and everything in between find an Ecoboost Expedition with tons of bells and whistles, a superior truck to the rest of them out there. Once again, this is my very first foray into Fords, so I’m pretty unbiased. But the ecoboost hating is just silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But whoever has the newest redesign always wins that. The 2017 expy lost badly to the Tahoe/Yukon in all those things and was ragged on constantly for being vastly inferior to the GM offering when they had the newest truck in town. Do I think the expy is inferior to the Tahoe? Nope I prefer the more traditional styling of the 17 expy. case in point looks like automotive journalists aren’t all that.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK...I watched this one long enough. First...Andy, only 8000 miles? You suck sir! LOL

Second....Train, I know that you're a good solid patriot living in the liberal bastion that is LI and we feel for you.....BUT(lol).....having owned two prior 5.4 Expy's.... I actually have to agree with most of what you observed.....yes, my 3.5 makes a bit more noise but considering what generates sound, we would expect it in a higher reving engine of less mass. You will never have to worry about "sucking in an impeller" nor other intake damage unless of course you suffered a sheer anomaly. We all have preferences....one of my bikes, my car and my truck are all either turbo or supercharged.....does my preference show?

I won't be part of an argument that was long ago settled, by peoples wallets.

jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360