2008 V-8 vs. 2016 V-6 on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Case in point. Another non owner dogging a newer Expedition. *shaking head. This forum contains about 5% helpful info and the balance is a bit of a waste of server hard drive space in my opinion.

In other news, Motor Trend tested 5 of the full size suvs out there and the Expedition (4th gen) came in first place. I’m a former exclusive Toyota owner who has put 300,000 miles on my last three Toyota’s so I’m sad to say the Sequoia came in dead last. Funny how guys who know a thing or two about vehicles and have driven everything from Rolls Royce’s to G Wagons and everything in between find an Ecoboost Expedition with tons of bells and whistles, a superior truck to the rest of them out there. Once again, this is my very first foray into Fords, so I’m pretty unbiased. But the ecoboost hating is just silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a quality fan & the 3 Toyota trucks I have owned with the lowest mileage one being 125,000 when I sold it, has it down. Zero non maintenance repairs on all 3. At this time I couldn't afford another Sequoia. Even coming in last place they really are expensive used because people want them. Toyota seems to like to keep a good thing going rather than redesign often.

Jeep GC, Nissan Armada & Ford Expeditions all were at the lower tier of used SUV pricing while I was shopping around. I got a 17 with less than 30,000 miles on it (lower trim level) for what I would have paid for a 3-4 year old Sequoia with similar trim with 80.000 or more miles on it. There is a reason for that.

I bought a used 17 Expy XLT EL that was either a rental or fleet vehicle & because of the issues a friend of mine is having on his 2016 F-150, I bought an extended warranty. I would like to tell people that the quality of Ford equals Toyota, we will see. So far so good. I'm impressed with how it drives, the power & gas mileage. I getting nearly 4mpg more than the Sequoia in similar driving. No warning lights going over bumps either. It's actually fairly quiet.

If I have many issues with the Expy, I'll pay the premium on the used market and go back to Toyota. If Toyota takes a down turn, then onto whatever is rated best.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a quality fan & the 3 Toyota trucks I have owned with the lowest mileage one being 125,000 when I sold it, has it down. Zero non maintenance repairs on all 3. At this time I couldn't afford another Sequoia. Even coming in last place they really are expensive used because people want them. Toyota seems to like to keep a good thing going rather than redesign often.

Jeep GC, Nissan Armada & Ford Expeditions all were at the lower tier of used SUV pricing while I was shopping around. I got a 17 with less than 30,000 miles on it (lower trim level) for what I would have paid for a 3-4 year old Sequoia with similar trim with 80.000 or more miles on it. There is a reason for that.

I bought a used 17 Expy XLT EL that was either a rental or fleet vehicle & because of the issues a friend of mine is having on his 2016 F-150, I bought an extended warranty. I would like to tell people that the quality of Ford equals Toyota, we will see. So far so good. I'm impressed with how it drives, the power & gas mileage. I getting nearly 4mpg more than the Sequoia in similar driving. No warning lights going over bumps either. It's actually fairly quiet.

If I have many issues with the Expy, I'll pay the premium on the used market and go back to Toyota. If Toyota takes a down turn, then onto whatever is rated best.

Exactly my sentiment. Very on point. But I’m sure someone here will flame us for promoting Toyota reliability. After spending a decent about of time on this forum and formerly on a Land Cruiser forum before I sold my 100 series I’m beginning to realize that there is a bit of a fundamental difference in life attitude between the majority of Land Cruiser owners and some Expedition owners. So much immaturity displayed here. [emoji53]

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also just sold an 08 Sequoia to get into this Expy. Reluctantly. BUT....I need the length (4 kids), the power (25’ boat)—and I like the 2016 Expy a lot.

However, that Sequoia, my second one, was dead nuts solid. Man she drinks fuel, but never breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly my sentiment. Very on point. But I’m sure someone here will flame us for promoting Toyota reliability. After spending a decent about of time on this forum and formerly on a Land Cruiser forum before I sold my 100 series I’m beginning to realize that there is a bit of a fundamental difference in life attitude between the majority of Land Cruiser owners and some Expedition owners. So much immaturity displayed here. [emoji53]

I don’t normally drive foreign vehicles but I’ll never take away from Toyota’s reliability. They make quality stuff that lasts, not to mention the Sequoia is a good looking truck. They are evolutionary not revolutionary nothing wrong with that, they let the others make the screw ups.

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Built in Indiana, sold exclusively in USA and Canada. Pretty darn American truck. Possibly engineered in Japan, I guess. But ownership of Toyota is worldwide as is every other major car manufacturer. There is not hardly such a thing as a foreign vehicle in the global economy, if you think about it.

Just a thought I had.

UncleDJ

Reaction score
My only experience with a Toyota was a 94 four runner I had for about 5 years.
All in all I wasn't impressed. It wasn't as comfortable as the American vehicles I'd owned, it was underpowered, and had rust issues that crept up rather quickly and the rear hatch leaked.
It was a pretty capable off roader though, and I never did have any issues with the drivetrain.
I may be willing to delve back into a Toyota at some point, but first we'll have to see how this current love affair with my Expy goes.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to sell Toyota just saying I expect my Ford to be problem free with regular maintenance like I'm used to. Do that and I would be a repeat customer as long as the price is decent and let the OP know I have high expectations and the 17 rental/fleet I bought is much better than his experience.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Built in Indiana, sold exclusively in USA and Canada. Pretty darn American truck. Possibly engineered in Japan, I guess. But ownership of Toyota is worldwide as is every other major car manufacturer. There is not hardly such a thing as a foreign vehicle in the global economy, if you think about it.

Just a thought I had.

You should see the Wrangler forums when someone points out they own an Italian car. LOL

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just a thought I had.

It is a very valid point indeed. However companies do have to be headquartered somewhere and pay its tax rates and that’s where profits are headed. Ford and GM are in Michigan..... Toyota is not. Again nothing wrong with that they still contribute to our economy.